The MaineMBA in Business Analytics
The MaineMBA in Business Analytics teaches you the skills to excel in a world that relies on technology to improve its bottom line. This MaineMBA concentration is ideal for individuals interested in big data and programming. You will learn to use the power of statistics and data modeling to make insightful business decisions, including applications like Python, R, and Tableau. Students develop their data analysis and visualization skills and meet the growing demand for professionals in this field. Students can earn certifications from top digital platforms that will give them a real-world advantage in their careers.
MaineMBA in Business Analytics Curriculum
Eight (8) MaineMBA Core Courses
- Strategic Data Analysis (BUA 601)
- Global Supply Chain Networks (MBA 637)
- Financial Statement Analysis (MBA 609)
- Foundations of Business Intelligence (BUA 680)
- Management of Contemporary Organizations (MBA 626)
- Managerial Marketing (MBA 670)
- Strategic Decision Making (MBA 649)
- Financial Management (MBA 651)
Three (3) Business Analytics electives
- Data Management & Business Analytics (BUA 681)
- Information Visualization (BUA 683)
- Data Mining (BUA 684)
- Problem Solving and Decision Analysis (BUA 685)
- Predictive Analytics (BUA 686)
- Econometrics (ECO 530)
- Advanced Econometrics (ECO 531)
To ensure that all MaineMBA students have a foundation of business core concepts, prior coursework or tutorials in the following areas is required:
- accounting (financial and managerial)
- economics (macro and micro)
Non-business undergraduates can complete foundational skills via self-paced tutorials prior to starting MBA courses.
All applicants should submit:
- Completed online application
- Contact information for three professional recommendations
- Transcripts of all previous college or university work
- Your current resume or CV
- Writing Submission (see “Application Writing Submission” below)
- GMAT scores or Approved GMAT Waiver (see below)
- $65 application fee
International students will also submit:
- English Language Proficiency Test Scores such as TOEFL or IELTS scores. Test requirements are waived for native English speakers and students graduating from an English-speaking or ESL program. Read more about the test requirements here.
- WES or ECE certified transcript translation
- Certificate of Finances
- Copy of Passport or Visa
International applicants should also review the Office of International Programs page for more information on Visas, financial statements, and other requirements, or to contact an international student advisor. International three-year degree holders are considered for admission to the Graduate School of Business. All applicants are considered on a case-by-case basis. Three-year degree holders are encouraged to apply.
Minimum Admission Criteria
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university with a 3.0 cumulative GPA; 3.5 preferred.
- GMAT score minimum of 500; 550 is preferred. GMAT waivers are available for qualified students (see below)
- For International applicants, a TOEFL minimum of 80 or IELTS minimum of 6.5.
All applications are reviewed holistically – exceptional career or leadership experience may offset weak scores in some applicants. Conditional or provisional admission is available.
Applicants must submit GMAT scores taken within the last five years. To apply for a GMAT waiver, submit the GMAT Waiver Form.
The GMAT waiver is available for those who meet the following criteria:
- Possession of an Advanced Degree
- PhD, JD, MD, CPA, CFP, or graduate degree from an approved accredited institution.
- Five or more years of post-graduate professional or military work experience:
- Management of staff in a direct working relationship
- Financial or budgetary responsibility
- Leadership of work (i.e. platoon leader, platoon commander, team leader, company commander, or similar military position).
- Job responsibilities that specifically demonstrate applied quantitative and analytical skills.
- A minimum of 3 years of industry experience in a highly STEM, quantitative, or analytical-based field.
- A minimum of 3 years of advanced military operations experience.
- An undergraduate degree with a GPA of 3.0 in a STEM or applied quantitative field from an approved accredited program.
- Students participating in the Accelerated Pathway program.
Other standardized tests (e.g., GRE, LSAT, MCAT, or PCAT ) may be substituted if taken within five years.
Additional Application Information
To ensure that all MaineMBA students have a foundation of business core concepts, prior coursework in the following areas is required:
• Accounting (financial and managerial)
• Economics (macro and micro)
Students can complete foundational skills via online foundation courses prior to starting MBA courses. All students are welcome to take foundation courses to help solidify their skills and prepare them for success.
Application Writing Submission
A writing submission describing your career goals and aspirations to earn your MaineMBA is required. The submission is evaluated not only for content but also for intrinsic writing quality and strengths. The piece is no longer than 500 words total.
Application fees are waived for:
- Graduates of University of Maine System Schools
- Members of any State of Maine Chamber of Commerce
- MaineMBA Preferred Partners employees
- Veterans of the US Armed Forces
- Fulbright Scholars
- Participants in select programs (eg. IRT/McNair)