Internship Story: Emmakate O’Donnell at the Vermont Lake Monsters

Emmakate O’Donnell, a senior from Colchester, Vermont, grew up watching the Vermont Lake Monsters play at Centennial Field in Burlington, VT. As she prepared to head home for the summer, she saw an internship opportunity on the baseball team’s website. A Sport Management and Marketing double major, she jumped at the chance to apply and landed an unforgettable summer experience.

Why did you choose to intern for the Vermont Lake Monsters?

I wanted to gain real-life experience in the sports world with marketing and promotions outside of UMaine athletics. The Vermont Lake Monsters has been an extremely respected organization in Vermont for 30 years, and I’m glad I could positively impact the organization this summer. 

What were your internship tasks?

My main task was to carry out the in-game promotions on and off the field every home game. I had other tasks, such as running the video camera for the jumbotron, signing participants up for the in-game promotions, creating short scripts for the announcer, and delivering pocket schedules and flyers around the state. At the end of the summer, our internship group presented three new theme night ideas with relevant sponsors and marketing campaigns to a leadership panel. 

What did you like most about your internship?

I enjoyed gaining hands-on experience in a field I am very interested in. Learning from individuals in my career path was rewarding, as was learning their perspectives on their current roles and responsibilities. It was fun to see the work in the background come to light during games. 

What were the biggest challenges you faced as an intern?

One of the biggest challenges I faced as an intern was being unable to learn other department responsibilities. This internship was mostly game-day promotions and marketing, and I would have liked to broaden my knowledge and help more behind the scenes. 

What did you learn during your internship that you couldn’t have learned in the classroom?

The ability to interact with thousands of fans in each game is something that you can’t learn in a classroom. Working for the Lake Monsters, you are a point person for every fan to ask questions and help them have the best experience possible at Cenntenial Field. Another part was being on the field in front of thousands of fans. Giving a presentation in the classroom is one thing, but being out in front of that many people is a whole different ball game. 

How will this experience help you as you move forward in your career?

This internship gave me real-world experience that helped me understand how things worked in a professional setting. I got to be a part of how sponsors connected to the promotional aspect of games. I also built connections with professionals in my field, which can lead to job leads in the future. This experience allowed me to explore a specific role and see if it aligned with my future career goals. This internship will help me make more informed decisions about my future. 

Any advice to share with other students considering an internship?

Some advice I would give to a student considering an internship would be:
• Research the company you are interested in and what their values are.
• Try to reach out to people who have formally had that same internship and get advice from their perspective. 
• Apply for internships that align with your future career goals and give yourself options.
• Try something new! You will never know if you don’t try. 

Why did you decide to study business at the Maine Business School?

I decided to study business at MBS because I knew what kind of opportunities MBS could provide to set me up for future success. MBS has allowed me to not limit myself to one major while still staying on a four-year path to graduation. Since joining the business school, I have met professors who want to see me succeed, which motivates me to do more than just class work.

Hometown: Colchester, Vermont
Class: 2025 
Major: Marketing and Sport Management
Internship Title: Promotions Intern