Internship Story: Corey Smith at A Coffeehouse

Corey Smith, a senior from Sidney, Maine, stumbled upon a summer internship opportunity while browsing social media. A marketing student with an entrepreneurial mindset—and a love of coffee—he helped open A Coffeehouse near his hometown in central Maine.

How did you hear about this internship? 

Browsing Facebook, I discovered that my favorite kind of business was intending to open soon, a coffee shop. I asked the owner if they needed a summer intern with marketing experience, not knowing that I would do so much more than ad campaigns. The owner and I collaborated on a position I would be hired for. I could not have been more excited as I prepared to begin a hands-on learning experience encompassing the various operations of opening a coffee shop. It ended up being a truly unforgettable journey with many mistakes made and much more learned. I hope other students will consider looking for those yet-to-be-known businesses for their summer experience. 

Why did you choose to intern here? 

I grew up in central Maine, where I deeply connected with the landscape and the welcoming community. This region has always felt like home to me, and I’ve long been inspired by the resilience and warmth of its people. I wanted to engage with the community and give back using the various skills I developed throughout my amazing UMaine experience. It was an opportunity I couldn’t miss out on; it would give me a chance to advance my professional skills and provide value for my favorite type of business, one that aligns with my morals and ethics as well! 

What were your internship tasks? 

My internship involved various tasks, from managing social media accounts and ad campaigns to engaging in hands-on learning experiences in opening a coffee shop. I worked closely with the owner to establish my role and contributed to a variety of aspects of the business, which involved valuable assortments of tasks and skills. 

What did you like most about your internship? 

What I enjoyed most was the opportunity to be deeply involved in opening a coffee shop. The hands-on experience allowed me to apply my marketing skills in a real-world setting, develop my skills in graphic design, and learn about the many facets of running a small business. Contributing to a business that aligns with my passions was exciting and fulfilling. 

What were the biggest challenges you faced as an intern? 

The biggest challenges I faced were my mistakes as I navigated unfamiliar territory without a direct, experienced supervisor. This was also a strength since I was allowed to be expressive without restraint. Being involved in the early stages of a business’s launch meant dealing with unexpected issues and learning how to address them in real-time, a precious skill that few get the chance to develop.

What did you learn during your internship that you couldn’t have learned in the classroom? 

I learned a lot about the practical aspects of business operations, the day-to-day challenges of running a freshly opened coffee shop, engaging in customer service, and the importance of adaptability, communication, and problem-solving. I believe these are experiences and lessons that couldn’t be fully captured in a classroom setting or a traditional internship. 

How will this experience help you as you move forward in your career? 

This experience gave me a deeper understanding of small business operations and the complexities of launching a business. It has equipped me with the skills to handle real-world challenges and the confidence to take on significantly larger responsibilities in future roles. The confidence I have gained from this role is the one thing that I prize the most out of all the results of this internship. 

Any advice to share with other students considering an internship? 

I advise other students to look for opportunities with businesses that are still in the early stages or are yet to be well-known. These positions can offer invaluable, hands-on experience that goes beyond traditional internships. 

Why did you decide to study business at the Maine Business School? 

I decided to study business at the Maine Business School because of my deep connection to central Maine and the strong sense of community here. I wanted to develop the skills needed to give back to this community and contribute to its growth, and the Maine Business School provided the perfect environment to achieve that. However, the most important factor in my decision was the people at the Maine Business School; they supported me and contributed significantly to my ambitions and confidence as a student and professional.

Hometown: Sidney, Maine 
Class: 2025 
Major: Marketing 
Internship Title: Marketing Intern