Student Refund Information

Financial Aid Refunds

A credit balance created by the disbursement of financial aid is normally disbursed to you by the start of each semester, unless you have requested that funds be held on your account.  Refunds for the fall and spring semesters will be available no earlier than Tuesday of the week before the first day of classes.

Hold Credit Balance for Future Charges

Financial aid resulting in a credit balance on your account will be automatically refunded to you unless you request that it be held to apply to future charges. To authorize us to hold a credit balance on your account for future charges, follow the instructions found at

Method of Refund

Refunds will be made available by direct deposit to a US bank account or by check mailed to your current address. Checks are not available for pick-up in the Bursar’s Office. Direct deposits are generated daily, as funds become available. Checks are mailed twice per week. Credit balances resulting from credit card payments will be refunded to the credit card used for payment.

Direct Deposit

The fastest and most secure way to get your refund is by direct deposit.  Enroll in direct deposit through the MaineStreet Student Center.  For detailed online instructions for enrolling or modifying your direct deposit, go to


If the student has not specified on MaineStreet that refunds be mailed to a specific address, refund checks mailed prior to the start of each semester will be mailed to the student’s home address, and after the start of each semester to the student’s local/campus address. For detailed online instructions for adding or modifying your refund address, go to

Your Financial Aid Status

Excess financial aid will be held on your account if your financial aid award is based on full-time enrollment and your current enrollment is not full-time.  Full-time enrollment for undergraduate students is 12 or more credits.  You will be notified by an email to your account that a hold has been placed on your refund.

To release the refund hold, you will need to:

Complete registration for 12 or more credits


Notify financial aid of your intent to enroll part-time.  Your financial aid award will be adjusted accordingly.

Follow these steps to notify Financial Aid of an enrollment change online through MaineStreet.

      1. After logging into the MaineStreet portal, click the Student Self-Service link to select it.
      2. Click the Student Center link to access the MaineStreet Campus Solutions system.
      3. Under the Finances section click on the Accept/Decline Awards link.
      4. Click on the current aid year to select it.
      5. On the Award Package page, click on the Student Enrollment link.
      6. Click on the button next to “I need to report a change in enrollment plans”.
      7. Click on the appropriate checkbox, indicating the number of credits planned for each semester.
      8. Click on the Return to Award Package link to save your changes.