About Research Data Security Services
Areas of Focus
Research Data Security services are central services extended by the Office of the Vice President of Research and Dean of the Graduate School at the University of Maine. Security services facilitate the development and implementation of research-specific data security guidance, policy, and infrastructure, in line with UMS and UMaine information security policies and procedures.
A particularly important component of these security services is providing researcher support in navigating the cybersecurity technical jargon embedded in federal and state regulatory requirements, as well as requirements prescribed through contracts, grants, or sponsorships. Research Data Security will work with the researcher toward a goldilocks security posture that balances requirements and researcher overhead.
- Pre- and post-award review
- Researcher-focused solution assessments
- Periodic assessments of compliance within secure computing environments
- Compliant reaction to information security incidents
- Development of System Security Plans (SSPs)
- Development and review of Plan of Action and Milestones (POA&M) to identify information system weaknesses, mitigating actions, resources, and timelines for corrective actions
- Technical security controls assessments and baseline validations to identify vulnerabilities and correct deficiencies as part of a continuous monitoring program
- Campus and system-wide development and implementation of security policies and procedures
- Security awareness and training