Skip Navigation
Return to Layout View | Home | A-Z Directory | my UMaine | MaineStreet | Campus Map | Calendar
Follow UMaine on Twitter | Join UMaine on Facebook | Watch UMaine on YouTube | Admissions | Parents & Family | Emergency

Student Financial Aid

Site Navigation:

Alternative Funding

Occasionally, students and their families need to supplement their own resources and financial aid award. Consider these alternatives as you put together a plan for paying for college.

Payment Plans

The University of Maine offers a payment plan administered by SallieMae. When you sign up for the payment plan, you can arrange to pay all or part of your billed costs by spreading out these costs over a period of months. Payment plans are not loans and there are no interest or finance charges, however, there is a one-time enrollment fee. Further information is available at or from the Bursar’s Office at (207) 581-1521.

Work Options

Employment during the summer and winter breaks can build up savings to meet expenses in September and January. Once enrolled, the University of Maine Office of Student Employment can assist students in locating both work study and non-work study jobs, either on or off campus.

Loan Options

There are a variety of loan programs available to help finance a college education, all of which will have to be repaid either upon disbursement of the loan funds or once the student leaves school. Before applying for any loan, ask questions and evaluate each loan program carefully to choose the one which is best for you. Some options include:

Federal Direct PLUS Loans allow graduate students and parents of dependent undergraduate students to borrow up to the annual cost of education minus any financial aid. If a parent is denied a Parent Direct PLUS Loan based on credit, the student may be eligible for additional Unsubsidized Stafford Loans.

Alternative Loans from private lenders are mostly credit-based loans and most will require periodic payments of principal and interest once disbursed. Interest rates vary, and a separate application is usually sent directly to the lender, which is then forwarded to our office for certification of the student’s status.

Explore benefits through the Armed Forces

If you are a member of the Armed Forces, or a dependent or spouse of one, you may be eligible for benefits through programs offered by the specific branch of the service with which your are affiliated. Talk with the Veterans Affairs Office on campus, the campus ARMY or NAVY ROTC offices and with Armed Forces recruitment officers.

Talk with an Expert

Your lender, accountant or a financial planner may be able to give you specific advice relative to your own particular financial situation and provide suggestions as to how to tap into other resources.


Additional Links

Contact Information

Student Financial Aid
5781 Wingate Hall
Orono, Maine 04469
Phone: (207) 581-1324 | Fax: (207) 581-3261E-mail:
The University of Maine
Orono, Maine 04469