Materials Testing - Paper Testing
The UMaine PDC has the staff and facilities to conduct comprehensive testing on paper made from any material. We conduct routine testing on the fundamental properties of paper and can also evaluate paper and fiber quality to the nanometer scale using highly advanced imaging technologies.
Paper testing is conducted in a temperature and humidity controlled room meeting TAPPI Standard specifications. The facility has test equipment for classic paper test procedures, as well as equipment to evaluate other paper characteristics, including formation, stiffness, and internal bond.
Paper Evaluation and Testing
- Physical testing– basis weight, caliper, burst, tear, tensile, fold
- Z-direction tensile
- Zero-span tensile
- Stiffness – Taber
- Smoothness – Sheffield, Parker
- Porosity – Gurley, Sheffield
- Sizing – Hercules, Cobb, Kit test
- Coefficient of friction – inclined and horizontal plane
- Optical properties – brightness, opacity, color, fluorescence
- Gloss meter and densitometer
- Beloit sheet splitter
- Printablity – KRK, IGT with Heliotest
- Physical and optical testing
- Printability analysis of coated and uncoated papers
- Sheet splitting – fines and filler analysis
- Paper specification development
- Water and grease resistance determination
To find out more about the PDC’s analytical capabilities, please contact Pros Bennett at 207-949-4176. After scheduling your work, please visit our Shipping Information and Sample Submission pages and fill out our Sample Submission Form.