Professional Development - Career Recognition Awards
New for 2013: ADVANCE Career Recognition Awards
Acknowledging the significant contributions of accomplished female scientists inspires peers seeking role models and mentors, and has been shown to support career advancement for women faculty at every rank.
In an effort to support the recruitment and retention of women faculty in STEM and Social-Behavioral Sciences and to recognize the significant achievements of women faculty at the University of Maine, the Rising Tide Center is pleased to offer the ADVANCE Career Recognition Awards.
Guidelines for this new program are summarized below. The process is quick and simple so why not consider nominating a deserving female colleague today?
- Women faculty in STEM and SBS disciplines
- Academic appointment at the rank of full professor
- Continued outstanding contribution(s) to the University of Maine’s tripartite mission
Nomination Process: Complete the simple nomination form (available here as a fillable PDF), to include:
- Your contact information
- Nominee’s name and department or unit
- 1 brief paragraph describing why the nominee is deserving of this award
- ADVANCE staff will contact nominees to request a curriculum vitae and to solicit the names of colleagues who can provide letters of support for the nomination
- Nomination Deadline: December 15, 2013
- Three women will be honored with Career Recognition Awards for 2013
- Awardees will be selected by a committee of faculty peers
- Awards will be announced in January 2014
Honoring our Awardees: Awardees will participate in the following events slated for spring 2014:
- A public presentation highlighting their achievements
- A panel discussion focused on the opportunities for women in science, and the professional challenges that still exist
- A reception acknowledging the accomplished careers and continuing contributions of the awardees
In addition, each honoree will receive a travel award of $3,000 to facilitate attendance at a prestigious international conference where their work will be showcased on a larger stage.