Schedule of Events
(schedule will be updated as events are finalized)
- Plastic Straw Challenge — From April 1st to April 30th, Simply Straws is challenging campuses across the country to go Plastic Straw Free. Join the #PledgeAgainstPlasticStraws 2018 Campus Challenge and get a FREE glass straw!
- Visit UMaine Dining’s Table in the Bears Den, Memorial Union. Learn about how to recycle your paper & plastic containers & utensils, and enter a raffle for your chance to win delicious local foods!
Tuesday, Apr. 17th:
- 12 – 1 PM: Sustainable Building Tour — Join Jeff Hunt, director of campus recreation, on a tour of the LEED Silver certified New Balance Student Recreation Center. No RSVP necessary. Meet in front of the New Balance Student Rec Center.
- 12 – 1 PM: Stop by the Green Campus Initiative’s Local Foods table in Memorial Union. Come learn about how you can eat locally here at UMaine and get everything you need to start your own herb garden for free.
Wednesday, Apr. 18th:
- All Day: Reusable Mug Promo at the Bear’s Den — Purchase a UMaine Dining reusable coffee mug and receive a free cup of coffee as well as an Earth Week Special Card (buy 5 cups of coffee with the mug and get one free).
- 11 AM – 1 PM: Stop by the Green Team’s Table in Memorial Union to learn about Green Team and the upcoming Earth Fest.
- 12 – 1 PM: Visit the Green Campus Initiative’s Green Living table in Memorial Union. Learn about the Green Living & Learning Community and other GCI initiatives for first year students.
- 12:30 -1:30 PM: Earth Week Keynote Speaker: Microplastics in the Gulf of Maine — Madelyn Woods from the Marine & Environmental Research Institute presents her research on the impacts of microplastics on marine ecosystems. The Bangor Room, Memorial Union
- 2:30 pm – 3:30 PM: UMaine Compost Facility Tour — join Mark Hutchinson, a University of Maine Cooperative Extension professor, to learn how UMaine diverts about 450,000 lbs of food waste per year. No RSVP necessary. Meet at the Compost Facility, directly behind the Keyo building parking lot.
Thursday, Apr. 19th:
- 11 AM – 1 PM: Stop by the Green Team’s Table in Memorial Union for henna tattoos.
- 12 – 2:30 PM: Come visit the Ditch Disposable Plastics! table in Memorial Union. Sign up for the Plastic Straw Challenge, receive reusable grocery bags, and learn about other ways to reduce your use of disposable plastics.
- 1 – 2 PM: Stop by the Green Campus Initiative’s Campus Composting table to learn about where your dining hall food scraps end up.
- 3:30 – 4:30 PM: Dynamic Earth showing at the M.F. Jordan Planetarium — This exciting program follows a trail of energy that flows from the Sun into the interlocking systems that shape our climate: the atmosphere, oceans, and the biosphere. $6 for adults, $5 for UMaine students/senior citizens and $4 for children 12 and under.
- 4:30 – 8 PM: Farm to Table Dinner — Dig into delicious local foods and learn about UMaine Dining’s commitment to purchasing local food. Dinner will be available at the Residential Dining facilities (Hilltop, York, and Wells Central).
Friday, Apr. 20th:
- All Day: Celebrate Earth Day with The University Bookstore! As a co-sponsor of Earth Week, The University Bookstore is giving away a free reusable, environmentally-friendly bag with any in-store purchase (while supplies last).
- 11 AM – 1 PM: Stop by the Green Team’s Table in Memorial Union to buy dirt cups.
- 12–1 PM: Tour UMaine’s W2 — The world’s first wind and wave lab to feature a rotating open-jet wind tunnel above a 100-foot-long by 30-foot-wide by 15-foot-deep wave basin. Limited to 10, first come, first served. Please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 12 – 1 PM: Stop by the Green Campus Initiative’s Small Steps to a Greener Lifestyle table in Memorial Union.
- 5:00 PM: Healthy High 5k & 10k — Race your fellow Black Bears at the the 11th annual fun run put on by the University Health and Wellness Center.
- 7 – 9 PM: Sustainability Trivia Night — Join the Green Campus Initiative for a fun competition to test your sustainability knowledge. Prizes will be awarded! Bears Den Pub.
Saturday, Apr. 21st:
- 10 AM – 12 PM: Earth Day Nature Walk with GCI — Join the Green Campus Initiative on a walk through the DeMeritt Forest. No RSVP necessary. Meet in front of the New Balance Student Rec Center. Check out GCI on Facebook for updates.
- 11 AM – 2 PM: UMaine Dem’s Earth Fest — Enjoy food, games, and music provided by campus environmental clubs. The sculpture parking lot by the CCA
- 12 – 2 PM: Earth Day Festival — A zero-waste event featuring activities and local foods. Use your MaineCard to take a Community Connector bus to the event for free! Pickering Square, Bangor
Sunday, Apr. 22nd:
- 10:30 – 12 PM: Terrell House’s Earth Day Brunch — Enjoy pancakes and other refreshments while watching a documentary series about the founding of permaculture. Terrell House. Space is limited. To sign up, email TerrellHousePLLC@gmail.com or message “Terrell House Living & Learning Center” on Facebook.
- It’s Earth Day! Take the initiative and celebrate our amazing planet however you’d like. Check out these fun Earth Day Activity Ideas!