The Japanese Homestay Experience

When I studied abroad in Japan, I decided to stay with a host family and it was one of the best choices I could have made. Not only did I receive a better cultural immersion, I can now also say that I have another family across the sea.

I went abroad during my sophomore year to Waseda university in Tokyo, Japan. The university had three different housing options for international exchange students. We could stay in the dorms, find our own accommodation, or we could stay with a host family. While I had thought about staying in the dorms with other international students, I knew that I wanted to become more thoroughly integrated into the culture. I also wanted to have more opportunities to practice and speak Japanese. Staying with a host family afforded me both of those things. I couldn’t have been more satisfied with my choice.

My homestay family was located in the Chiba district and the house was about a five minute walk from the train station and a forty minute train ride from the university. That may sound like a lot but the time went by rather quickly. I usually listened to audiobooks and pre-downloaded podcasts to pass the time. The train ride was never an issue for me, I rather enjoyed it, especially when the train was above ground as I got to see so much scenery.

My host family took me to Universal Studios Japan

My family consisted of my host mom, Ran, my host dad, Tatsuya, and my host sister, Remi. Remi was on the verge of turning one-year-old when I arrived there and Ran and Tatsuya both spoke beautiful English as they had prior experience with the language. This allowed me a very smooth integration into the Japanese language and culture. I was very lucky and I’m still so grateful for that luck because I know some of the people I met studying abroad chose the host family option ended up with people who spoke little to no English. It should be known that English isn’t widely taught in Japan. Many people that I ran into, even in Tokyo, didn’t speak much English. Despite this, I didn’t have many issues while navigating around the country whether through speaking or using the trains for transportation. I picked things up and took Japanese classes while enrolled at Waseda. My host family also helped with my Japanese studies; this was something that those staying in the dorms didn’t have the chance to utilize.

Since I signed up for a homestay, I also received breakfasts and dinners throughout the week (Monday-Friday). For lunches and meals on the weekends I was left to my own devices which was fine since I was generally on campus in the afternoon on weekdays and out exploring on weekends. The meals I did receive with my host family were delicious and very traditional. My host mom also taught me how to cook bentos-or school lunches-so that, rather then spend money everyday for lunch, I had the option to pack my lunches.

My host family also took me on trips around Japan. While I covered my own travel costs (we split it half and half), it was such an amazing experience to have, traveling with them. I was able to see a different side of Japan that I’m not sure I would have seen had I either gone on my own or with another group of students.

The times I spent with my host family were some of the most important and cherished moments of my study abroad. I wouldn’t change anything and I strongly recommend that, if you have the chance, you decide to stay with a host family.

–Shania Soler (Tokyo, Japan), Study Abroad Assistant