Compliance Steps to Take When Joining or Leaving UMaine
New to UMaine?
The Office of Research Compliance (ORC) welcomes you to the University of Maine! We encourage you to take the following steps prior to beginning any research activities to ensure compliance.
- Visit the ORC website and review guidance for areas that may apply to your work. We offer in depth policies, guidance, and resources to guide you through each area of research compliance.
- Determine if any trainings or approvals are required before initiating your research.
- Complete required trainings, including the Financial Conflict of Interest training (required for all researchers) and any others required for your work using CITI (see Instructions to Access CITI Training).
- Contact ORC with any questions or to schedule a consultation. We are here to help.
When a researcher leaves UMaine or retires, there are important compliance steps that must be taken prior to departure. As a researcher leaving UMaine, you should:
- Contact ORC to close protocols, applications, registrations, labs, etc. or transfer protocols, etc. to another researcher at UMaine. Please note: protocol transfer requests must be submitted at least 14 business days prior to your planned departure.
- If you plan to continue your research, contact the new institution in advance to see what steps might be needed to open the study there.
The sooner a researcher notifies ORC of their plans to leave UMaine, the easier the transition will be for the researcher, as well as all institutions involved. For further information, please visit the applicable compliance area on the ORC website, and reach out to ORC with any questions.
For more helpful tips and guidance, subscribe to the Research Compliance Newsletter!