Electric Vehicle Pilot Program
The University of Maine Faculty/Staff and Resident Students Electric Vehicle Pilot Program
- The UMaine EV parking permit is currently only available to UMaine individuals who already qualify for a blue permit
- The UMaine Blue Qualified EV parking permit will cost $200.00 per calendar year.
- Residents Red parking passes should contact Auxiliary services (Sally Clark 207-581- 4506) for access to a charger and rules.
- All others EVs can use the Pay-As-You-Charge Level-2 Charger located at the entrance to the Advanced Structures and Composite Center.
- There are two types of electric vehicle that qualify for the UMaine Faculty/Staff EV parking permit: Battery Electric Vehicles (BEV) and Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicles (PHEV). Both can be charged from an electrical outlet.
- A battery electric vehicle (BEV) runs entirely on a battery and electric drive train, without a conventional internal combustion engine. These vehicles must be plugged into an external source of electricity to recharge their batteries.
- A plug-in hybrid electric vehicle (PHEV) runs primarily on a battery that is recharged by plugging into an external source of electricity. PHEVs are also equipped with an internal combustion engine that can recharge the battery and/or replace the electric drive train when the battery is low and more power is required.
- Non-Electric Vehicles may not park in Electric Vehicle Designated Areas.
- Upon receipt of an UMaine EV parking permit, the permit holder will be provided a reserved space in an Electric Vehicle Designated Area.
- An EV permit-holder’s reserved space will remain until the next annual registration period.
- Parking in another EV permit holder’s reserved space will result in a ticket and towing of the offending vehicle.
- UMaine EV parking permits will also allow the holder to park in any regular Staff (Blue) or Commuter (Black) parking lot on campus.
- The EV permit may be used in any vehicle registered to that particular permit holder and must be displayed in the vehicle while parked on campus.
- Between November 1 and May 1 EV parking spaces are closed to parking between the hours of 12:00 midnight and 6:00 AM. The Hilltop (commuter section only) and College Ave South lots are available for temporary parking during these hours.
For more information contact Daniel Dixon at 207-581-1571 or firstname.lastname@example.org