On-campus Jobs

If you are an F-1  student you are automatically  allowed to work  on-campus job.  During the fall and spring semester you may work up to 20 hours per week.  During the winter and summer break you may work up to 40 hours.

If you are a J-1 student you may work on campus but you will need a special work authorization letter from the Office of International Programs.  Please ask OIP for a request form and we will issue the letter for you.

Graduate students

A Graduate Teaching or Research assistantship is counted as 20 hours per week.  If you are a graduate student with an assistantship you may not take on other employment.

Intensive English Students

Your breaks may fall outside the regularly scheduled winter and summer breaks.  Be sure to check with an International Student Adviser at OIP if you plan to work full time (40 hours) during your break session.

Off-campus Jobs

Whether you are an F-1 or J-1 student, if you want to work off-campus you must obtain special permission from the Office of International Programs and in some cases the US Citizenship and Immigration Service.  Some applications for work authorization take 2-3 months to approve so it is important to begin the process early.

F-1 Student Options

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

 CPT may be granted for an off-campus internship or independent study that is an integral part of an established curriculum.  You must earn academic credit for your  CPT work experience and it is available only prior to the completion of your degree program.  You must have a job offer at the time of application and your academic adviser must approve it as a qualifying academic experience.  CPT employment may not delay completion of the academic program.
Workshops offered at the OIP- Room 240, Estabrooke Hall
Tuesday, November 28: 12pm
How to apply for CPT

Optional Practical Training (OPT)

OPT is  temporary employment directly related to a student’s field of study usually done after graduation.  During OPT, a student remains in F-1 status.  Your application is made through OIP and forwarded on to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS).  USCIS will issue an Employment Authorization Document (EAD or OPT card) which grants authorization to accept relevant employment.

Workshops offered at the OIP- Room 240, Estabrooke Hall
Thursday, September 28 at 12:00pm
Wednesday, November 8 at 4:30pm
Tuesday, December 5 at 4:30pm

How to apply for OPT

Special Reporting Requirements for Students on OPT

Students who are on OPT must report certain information to OIP, such as current residential address, current employer name and address, dates of employment or unemployment, changes in name, and changes in immigration status.  Students on OPT can report that information here.

J-1 Student Options

Academic Training may be granted to J-1 students (both degree and non-degree seeking) who would like to pursue a practical training experience in their field either during or after studies.  Your academic adviser or Associate Dean (for non-degree) must recommend the training experience and provide documentation to the Office of International Programs regarding the employer, number of hours, suitability of employment, etc.

Workshop offered at the OIP- Room 240, Estabrooke Hall
Wednesday, November 29 at 12:00pm

Apply for Academic Training

Employment Resources


To explore employment opportunities on campus please visit the Student Employment website.  Please note that international students are not eligible to accept any positions designated as “Work-Study”.


The University of Maine’s Career Center is an excellent place to search for jobs and internships.  Be sure to  check out Going Global, a search engine which offers access to international career resources including world-wide job openings, internship listings, industry profiles, and country-specific career information.  The Career Center also has many other important resources such as career counseling, resume writing workshops, and  programs to connect you with UMaine alumni working in your field.

Taxes for International Students

Applying for Social Security Number

How to File Your Tax Return

Dear International Students and Scholars:
If you were present in the US for any part of 2016 you are required to file a tax form with the US Internal Revenue Service.  ALL students are required to file a form even if no income is earned.  Please read the information below carefully so that you can determine the correct action for your personal circumstances.  For more information please visit our Tax Page.  This page is hosted on Google Sites so you must sign in with your maine.edu gmail address.
Step 1:  Determine if you are a RESIDENT or NON-RESIDENT for tax purposes.  Your tax status is NOT related to your immigration status.
If you have been in the US for less than 5 years you are a NON-RESIDENT.
If you have been in the US for 5 or more years you need to determine if you are a RESIDENT or NON-RESIDENT for tax purposes.  To make this determination please use the excel sheet below.
Step 2:  NON-RESIDENTS purchase access code for Sprintax software. 
If you are a NON-RESIDENT you are eligible to use Sprintax to prepare your tax documents.  Sprintax is a softward provided by OIP.  Purchase a tax code here.
If you are a RESIDENT you are NOT eligible to use Sprintax.  Please see directions on our Tax web page for RESIDENTS
Step 3:  Prepare your tax documents
If you are using Sprintax to prepare your tax documents you can go ahead and begin on your own or attend one of the Guided Tax Sessions hosted by OIP.  Since there are a few different tax situations OIP will hold sessions for each tax category separately.  Please sign up for the appropriate session.
For more information on filing your taxes using Sprintax please click here.