Transfer requests can be made at the International Student & Scholar Services office at your school.
- Must be in lawful F-1 or J-1 status.
- F-1 students with a completed program- Make your request no later than during the 60 day grace period following your completion date, and while student is still in the US.
- F-1 students leaving active program before completion- Make you submit your request before I-20 expires.
- J-1 students with a completed program- Make your request before your DS-2019 expires or within the 30 day grace period, if your DS-2019 is valid into the future.
- J-1 student leaving active program before completion- Make your request before the DS-2019 expires.
- F-1 students: new program must begin within 5 months of completing current program.
If you plan to travel outside the United States after your SEVIS transfer is effective, you will need to have your UMaine I-20 or DS-2019 in hand in order to return to the US.
Be sure to request a transfer date after completion of your intended employment dates. Once your transfer release date is current and your record is under the jurisdiction of the new school, your OPT is cancelled.
Immigration transfers are possible when the time between the end of your current program and the beginning of your new program at UMaine does not exceed 5 months. You can begin the SEVIS Transfer-in process once you receive your admission letter from the University of Maine.
- Notify the school you currently attend that you wish to transfer to the University of Maine. IMPORTANT- You must transfer your SEVIS record to UMAINE while you are in the United States. If you will travel outside the US, notify your international student advisor and request that they make the transfer before you leave.
- Activate your UMaine account, if you have not already done so. More information is available on our website here.
- Complete the Transfer In Request form. Go to eoip.um.maine.edu and click the blue “LOGIN” button. Then sign in using your @maine.edu account information. Click “F-1 Student Services” and then select the “Transfer In Request” form. You must upload all required documents and complete all of the fields. Make sure that the information for the DSO at your current school is accurate as an email will be sent to them to request additional information.
- Report to our office, the Office of International Programs (300 Stodder Hall), no later than 15 days after the start date on your UMaine I-20 or DS-2019 and request that we complete the transfer process. Failure to follow these instructions may result in a violation of your immigration status.
SEVIS Transfer to Another Institution Procedures (Transfer-OUT):
Transferring your SEVIS record to another institution can only be done after you have received an admission letter from the new institution and you have made a final decision to attend.
- Once you have decided that you will transfer to another school, complete the Transfer Out Request form. Go to eoip.um.maine.edu and click the blue “LOGIN” button. Then sign in using your @maine.edu account information. Click “F-1 Student Services” and then select the “Transfer Out Request” form. You must upload a copy of your admission letter from the new school and complete all of the fields.
Transfer Verification Form from Receiving Institution
As part of the SEVIS Transfer, your new institution may request that we complete out a “Transfer Verification Form”, verifying you are in good standing. This form can be dropped off at OIP’s front desk, 300 Stodder Hall, or it can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to complete the top portion of the form and sign it showing that UMaine has permission to share your information with the new school.
Transfer Verification forms take 2-3 business days to process.