SEVIS Transfers A student in F-1 or J-1 status can request to have their SEVIS record transferred to another institution, if they meet all eligibility requirements for a SEVIS transfer. The SEVIS transfer request can be submitted while a student is still enrolled in their program, but the SEVIS transfer isn’t effective until after completion