GSG Digital Commons
GSG offers UMaine graduate students a Digital
The Graduate Student Government, as a service to UMaine grad students from all disciplines, is
pairing up with Fogler Library’s Digital Commons feature to offer graduate students a way for
them to publicize work they are doing in a permanent record, searchable via the internet. The
focus of this is on professional work other than theses/dissertations. For example, a paper that a
graduate student has written but has not published elsewhere, yet still would like to have credit
and publicity for this work. Through Digital Commons, anyone searching that subject via the
internet would find this paper in one of the top results for the subject search. This is something
the student can use as a permanent link, to put on CVs and portfolios.
This is not just for research papers, though. Other possible contributions are art exhibits,
performances, and written work.
Our repository is on the UMaine Digital Commons site under “Graduate Student Scholarly and Creative Submissions)
It is the student’s responsibility to make sure the work is proofread before submitting. This is a
permanent contribution and not editable once published.
It is also the student’s responsibility to make sure the work follows publishing guidelines
according to his/her intent. For instance, if a student plans to publish the work in a journal, the
journal may not accept it if it is already on Digital Commons. Or, if the work was previously
published, the student needs to make sure the publication allows the work to also be added to
UMaine’s Digital Commons repository.
Still excited??? Great! This really is a terrific way to get attention and credit for research
and other academic work of which you are proud!
HOW TO SUBMIT:
1. Email submissions to the GSG Secretary at email@example.com
2. Make sure the work is polished, proofread and completed, ready for professional display.
3. Send written materials to me in Word format.
4. Images to be posted in galleries should be jpg format. Posters should be saved in pdf
5. Media formats that can be handled by Digital Commons include:
- Flash/HTML5 Audio (m4a, mp3)
- Flash/HTML5 Video (flv, mp4)
- QuickTime Audio (aac, aif, mid, midi, mov, wav)
- QuickTime Video (3g2, 3gp, mov, mpg, mpeg)
- RealAudio (ra, ram)
- RealVideo (ram, smi, smil)
- SWF Format (swf)
- Windows Media Audio (wma)
- Windows Media Video (avi, wmv)