The Master of Social Work program is designed for people who are interested in entering the social work profession at an advanced professional level and for people currently in the profession who are interested in upgrading their knowledge, skills, credentials and career potential. The MSW Program consists of 63 credit hours total and includes 45 credit hours of classroom work and 18 credit hours of supervised practicum.
UMaine offers the following degree completion options:
- The 2-year program is planned for completion in 4 consecutive semesters on the Orono campus.
- The 3-year program is a blended option (coursework completed online with low residency). Students are required to attend in-person meetings twice per semester.
- The 4-year program is planned for students taking at least two courses per semester and complete the program in 4 consecutive years. Courses are sequential and are generally offered once a year during the day.
Required academic classes are offered on the Orono campus and are generally offered on two consecutive days; thus, 2-year program students are on campus two days a week. In addition to classroom work, students engage in two field practica:
- The foundation year internship is 400 clock hours over the course of the academic year, plus a two-hour weekly seminar
- The advanced year internship is 500 clock hours with a regularly scheduled seminar.
The School’s field team arranges internship placements in reasonable proximity to your residence.
The Advanced Standing Program is for applicants who received BSWs from CSWE accredited institutions within the past seven years.
- Advanced standing students take a total of 46 credit hours, including three 2-credit online “bridging” courses during the summer prior to starting fall classes.
- Advanced standing students can complete the MSW in one full year.
- A two-year extended program is available after the summer “bridging courses” to those who qualify for advanced standing, but who want longer to complete the program.
Degrees offered: MSW
Application deadline: January 1, then rolling if space is available (Fall only)
Test Required: None
Contact: Sandy Butler
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Program Website: Social Work