Sharmila M. Mukhopadhyay
Professor of Mechanical Engineering
Department: Mechanical Engineering
Appointments: Professor, Director of the Frontier Institute for Research in Sensor Technologies (FIRST)
Address: 5708 ESRB-Barrows, Room 265
Education: 1989, PhD in Materials Science & Engineering, Cornell University
- Jefferson Science Fellow, National Academies and US Department of State (2016-17)
- Professor of Mechanical & Materials Engineering at Wright State University (1997-2019)
- Founding Director, Center for Nanoscale Multifunctional Materials at WSU
- Founding Director, National Academy of Engineering-Grand Challenges Scholars Program at WSU (2019)
- Summer Faculty Fellow, Air Force Research Laboratory (Summers, 2000-03)
- Multifunctional nanomaterials: design, synthesis, characterization and testing
- Compact lightweight components for energy, environment, and biomedical applications
- Surface and interface phenomena
- Multidisciplinary engineering research and education
NSF, DOE, AFOSR, AFRL, OBOR, EPA, and industry
Select Research Activities:
- Novel Bio-inspired 3D Materials for catalysis, sensing and bio-scaffolding, NSF
- Plasma Modification of Uneven Porous Surfaces, Proctor & Gamble, Air Force Research lab (AFRL)
- Wettability tailoring of aerospace structures, Air Force Research lab (AFRL)
- High Temperature Superconductors, DOE, AFRL, NSF
Select Publications / Presentations (From a list of over 150):
Soham D Parikh, Luping Huang, Wenhu Wang, Sharmila M Mukhopadhyay, Debra A Mayes, “Multi-walled carbon nanotube carpets as scaffolds for u87Glioblastoma multiforma cell growth”, Materials Science & Engineering C, Volume 108, March 2020 https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0928493119319897
Vijwani*, M.N. Nadagouda, S.M. Mukhopadhyay, “Robust nanocatalyst membranes for degradation of atrazine in water”, Journal of Water Process Engineering, Volume 25, October 2018, Pages 15-21
Betty T. Quinton*, Levi Elston, James D. Scofield and Sharmila M. Mukhopadhyay, “Aligned Carbon Nanotube Arrays Bonded to Solid Graphite Substrates: Thermal Analysis for Future Device Cooling Applications”, Journal of Carbon Research, 2018, 4, 28; doi:10.3390/c4020028.
LvMeng He*, Anil Karumuri* and Sharmila M. Mukhopadhyay, “Wettability Tailoring of Nanotube Carpets: Morphology-Chemistry Synergy for Hydrophobic-Hydrophilic Cycling”, RSC Advances 7(41):25267, 2017.
Akhil Patel*, Shilpaa Mukundan, Wenhu Wang*, Anil Karumuri**, Vinayak Sant, Sharmila M. Mukhopadhyay, Shilpa Sant, Carbon-based hierarchical scaffolds for myoblast differentiation: Synergy between nano-functionalization and alignment, Acta Biomater. 2016, Mar 1.
Rajaram Narayanan*, Hema Vijwani*, Sharmila M. Mukhopadhyay, Prabhakar R. Bandaru, “Electrochemical charge storage in hierarchical carbon manifolds”, Carbon, Volume 99, April 2016, Pages 267–271.
Kshitij C. Jha**, Zhuonan Liu, Hema Vijwani*, Mallikarjuna Nadagouda, Sharmila M. Mukhopadhyay, and Mesfin Tsige, “Carbon nanotube based groundwater remediation: the case of Trichloroethylene”, Molecules 2016, 21, 953; doi:10.3390/molecules21070953
- Albert Nelson Marquis Lifetime Achievement Award, 2019
- Fellow, American Ceramic Society, 2007
- Trustee’s Award of Faculty Excellence, the highest award given by Wright State University “to honor those who serve as the most outstanding of role models for all faculty”, 2011.
- Outstanding Faculty Member, College of Engineering & Computer Science, 2011.
- Excellence in Research, College of Engineering and Computer Science, 2005.
- Featured in Marquis “Who’s Who in America”, “Who’s Who in Science and Engineering”, and “Who’s Who in the World”.
- Certificate for National Ranking (top 10) at the Indian School Certificate Examination.
- Merit Scholarship for B.S. performance, Indian Institute of Technology.
- Featured in multiple media releases such as Innovation News Daily, Ceramic Bulletin, PhysOrg, Homeland Security News Wire, Dayton Business Journal etc.