Associate Professor of Chemistry
Appointments: Associate Professor, Frontier Institute for Research in Sensor Technologies
Associate Professor, Forest Bioproducts Research Initiative
Address: 5708 ESRB-Barrows, Room 153
Education: 1991 Ph. D. Cornell University
Professor Frederick is developing hydrodeoxygenation catalysts that will produce fuels and valuable chemicals from woody biomass. His research group utilizes a variety of experimental and theoretical methods, including in-situ spectroscopic and high pressure catalyst characterization methods, surface science techniques, quantum chemical calculations and statistical simulations. The research group is very multi-disciplinary, spanning physics, chemistry, and chemical engineering.
- Aravind Reghu, L. Jay LeGore, John F. Vetelino, Robert J. Lad, Brian G. Frederick, “Distinguishing Bulk Conduction From Band Bending in Chemiresistive Metal Oxide Gas Sensors,” Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 122 (2018) 10607-10620. DOI: 10.1021/acs.jpcc.8b01446.
- Anushka E. Vithanage, Emtias Chowdhury, Luz D. Alejo, Paige Pomeroy, William J. DeSisto, Brian G. Frederick, William M. Gramlich, “Renewably Sourced Phenolic Resins From Lignin Bio Oil,” Journal of applied Polymer Science, 134 (2017) 44827. https://doi-org.prxy4.ursus.maine.edu/10.1002/app.44827
- Jincy Joseph, Matthew Rasmussen, James Fecteau, Sally Kim, Hyunji Lee, Katelyn Tracy, Bruce Jensen, Brian G. Frederick, Elizabeth Stemmler, “Compositional Changes to Low Water content Bio-oils During Aging: An NMR, GC/MS, and LC/MS Study,” Energy & Fuels, 30 (2016) 4825, 10.1021/acs.energyfuels.6b00238
- Ryan C. Nelson, Byeongjin Baek, Pamela Ruiz, Ben Goundie, Ashley Brooks, M. Clayton Wheeler, Brian G. Frederick, Lars C. Grabow, Rachel Narehood Austin, “Experimental and Theoretical Insights into the Hydrogen-Efficient Direct Hydrodeoxygenation Mechanism of Phenol over Ru/TiO2,” ACS Catalysis, 5 (2015) 6509.
- Cody Newman, Xiaobo Zhou, Ben Goundie, I. Tyrone Ghampson, Rachel A Pollock, Zachery Ross, M. Clayton Wheeler, Robert W Meulenberg, Rachel Narehood Austin, Brian G Frederick, “Effects of support identity and metal dispersion in heterogeneous ruthenium hydrodeoxygenation catalysts,” Appl. Catal. A-General, 477 (2014),64-74.
Updated: March 2019