Recent research/scholarly publications by faculty members and students from the University of Maine College of Education and Human Development are listed below. For publications with multiple authors, members of the college community are highlighted in bold. To see more publications, visit our faculty-staff directory and click on the links to faculty profile pages.
- Puhlman, D., Shigeto, A., Murillo-Borjas, G.A., Maurya, R.K., & Vincenti, V.B. (2023). Qualitative genogram analysis: A methodology for theorizing family dynamics. Journal of Family Theory & Review, 1-16. https://doi.org/10.1111/jftr.12496
- Fensie, A., St. Pierre, T., Jain, J., & Sezen-Barrie, A. (2023). Engaged learning during distraction: a case study of successful working moms in distance education. Journal of Computing in Higher Education. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12528-023-09359-0
- Brown, S.P. & Biddle, C. (2023). Testing a teacher costs to caring resilience model to identify burnout mediators. Teaching and Teacher Education. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tate.2023.104078
- Isbell, L.M., Chimowitz, H., Huff, N.R., Liu, G., Kimball, E., & Boudreaux, E. (2023). A qualitative study of emergency physicians’ and nurses’ experiences caring for patients with psychiatric conditions and/or substance use disorders. Annals of Emergency Medicine. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.annemergmed.2022.10.014
- Howorth, S. K., Rooks-Ellis, D. L. , Sulinski, E., Jones, B. (2023). Effect of PEERS® class on conversational skills of adults with autism in college. Journal of Postsecondary Education and Disability, 35(4)
- Taylor, J.P., Avellone, L., Wehman, P. & Brooke, V. (2023). The Efficacy of Competitive Integrated Employment Versus Segregated Employment for Persons with Disabilities: A Systematic Review. Journal of Vocational Rehabilitation, 58(1), 63-78.
- (2022). Enacting affirmative ethics through autotheory: sense-making with affect during COVID-19. International Journal of Qualitative Studies in Education.
- Sezen-Barrie, A., Carter, L., Smith, S., Saber, D., & Wells, M. (2022). Research and Scholarship During the COVID-19 Pandemic: A Wicked Problem. Innovative Higher Education.
- Matute-Chavarria, M., Cuba, M. J., Lavin, C. E., Katz, S., Brown, M. R., & Aborishade, A. P. (2022). Using Technology to Coach Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Families in the Behavior Intervention Plan Process: Embedding Funds of Knowledge. Journal of Special Education Technology, 0(0).
- Biddle, C. (2022). “We’ll probably all be in trouble for hugging a kid”: Rural teacher radicalism in addressing adverse childhood experiences.” The Rural Educator, 43(4), 43-57.
- Lacy, A.M.P., Lam, K.C., Welch Bacon, C.E. (2022). Addressing the Habitual Practice Issue: The Role of Unlearning in Promoting Evidence-Based Practice and Lifelong Learning. Athletic Training Education Journal 1 April 2022; 17 (2): 174–181.
- (2022). Rural Women, Higher Education, and the Mixed Legacies of Early 20th Century Domestic Science Initiatives. Journal of Women and Gender in Higher Education, 15:3, 293-307.
- Brendli, K., Taylor, J.P., Scott, L.A., Hobson, J., Powell, C. & Ruiz, A. (2022). Won’t Stop, Can’t Stop: Alternative Route to Licensure Special Education Teachers’ Persistence in Their Careers. Journal of Education and Learning, 11(6), 76-85.
- Martin, A.D., Mills, T. (2022). Materiality, Affect, and Diverse Educational Settings: A Collaborative Inquiry Between Urban and Rural Teacher Educators. In: Martin, A.D. (eds) Self-Studies in Urban Teacher Education. Self-Study of Teaching and Teacher Education Practices, vol 25. Springer, Singapore.
- Lacy, A.M.P., Bowman, T.G., Huggins, R.A., Lininger, M.R., Denegar, C.R., Casa, D.J., & Singe, S.M. (2022). Secondary school athletic trainers’ experiences with organizational conflict: A comparison across employment models. Journal of Athletic Training.
- Lacy, A.M.P., Stearns, R.L., Eason, C.M., & Casa, D.J. (2022). Secondary school athletic coaches’ perceptions and knowledge of the athletic training profession. Journal of Athletic Training.
- Lacy, A.M.P., Eason, C.M., Chu, E.L., Stearns, R.L., & Casa, D.J. (2022). Youth athletes’ parents’ perceptions and knowledge of the athletic training profession. Journal of Athletic Training.
- Sezen-Barrie, A., & Avraamidou, L. (2022). “‘A Different Kind of Middleman”: Preservice Science Teachers’ Agency for Climate Change Education.” In Justice and Equity in Climate Change Education (pp. 174-197). Routledge.
- Sezen-Barrie, A., Henderson, J. A., & Drewes, A. L. (2022). “Spatial and Temporal Dynamics in Climate Change Education Discourse: An Ecolinguistic Perspective.” In Critical Thinking in Biology and Environmental Education (pp. 189-209). Springer: Cambridge.
- Reagan. T. (2022). Democracy and world language education: Toward a transformation. Information Age Publishing: Charlotte, NC.
- Hakkola, L., & Dyer, S. J. V. (2022). Role conflict: How search committee chairs negotiate faculty status, diversity, and equity in faculty searches. Journal of Diversity in Higher Education.
- (2022). A public health approach to preventing hazing on a university campus. Journal of American College Health.
- Taylor, J., Avellone, L., Brooke, V., Wehman, P., Inge, K., Schall, C., & Iwanaga, K. (2022). The impact of competitive integrated employment on economic, psychological and physical health outcomes for individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities. Journal of Applied Research in Intellectual Disabilities.