Timothy G. Reagan
Professor Foreign Language Education
205 Shibles Hall
University of Maine
Orono, ME 04469-5766
Bio: Timothy G. Reagan is Professor of Foreign Language Education and former dean of the College of Education and Human Development at the University of Maine. He also holds the position of Research Fellow in the Department of South African Sign Language and Deaf Studies at the University of the Free State in Bloemfontein, South Africa. He has held a variety of senior faculty and administrative positions at institutions in the United States, South Africa and Kazakhstan, including at Gallaudet University, the University of Connecticut, Roger Williams University, Central Connecticut State University, the University of the Witwatersrand, and Nazarbayev University. Reagan has served as the editor-in-chief of the international journal Language Problems and Language Planning, and the founding co-editor of Critical Inquiry in Language Studies. He is the author of more than a dozen books and 150 refereed journal articles and book chapters.
Ph.D. in Educational Policy Studies, 1982, University of Illinois (Champaign-Urbana)
M.A. in Educational Policy Studies, 1980, University of Illinois (Champaign-Urbana)
B.A. in History/Russian Language, 1977, Michigan State University
Courses taught at UMaine
- EHD 101: The Art and Science of Teaching
- INT 410: Introduction to the Study of Linguistics
- ERL 472: Language and Linguistics
- EHD 466/MLC 566: Teaching Foreign Languages
- ELL 585: Applied Linguistics and Second Language Acquistion
- Reagan, T., & Osborn, T.A. (2021) The art and science of teaching: An introduction to American education. Kendall Hunt.
- Reagan, T. (2019). Linguistic legitimacy and social justice. London: Palgrave Macmillan
- Reagan, T. (2018). Nonwestern educational traditions: Local approaches to educational thought and practice (4th ed.). New York: Routledge
Journal Articles and Book Chapters:
- Reagan, T., Matlins, P. & Pielick, C. D. (2021). Deaf epistemology, sign language and the education of deaf children. Educational Studies, 57(1), 37-57.
- Reagan, T. (2020). Islam in the United States: Addressing Islamophobia in the public schools. Journal of Education in Muslim Societies, 2(1), 58-80.
- Reagan, T., Matlins, P. & Pielick, C. D. (2020). Teaching deaf culture in American Sign Language courses: Toward a critical pedagogy. Foreign Language Annals, 53(2), 270-291.
- Reagan, T. (2020). A twelfth official language? The constitutional future of South African Sign Language. Southern African Linguistics and Applied Language Studies, 38(1), 73-85.
- Reagan, T. (2019). Language policies, language rights and sign languages: A critique of disabilities-based approaches. Critical Inquiry in Language Studies, 16(4), 271-292.
- Reagan, T. (2020). The politics of L2/Ln sign language pedagogy. In R. Russell (Ed.), Routledge handbook of sign language pedagogy (pp. 275-282). Oxfordshire, UK: Taylor and Francis/Routledge.