Assistant Professor of Special Education
301 Shibles Hall
University of Maine
Orono, Maine 04469-5766
Bio: Sara Flanagan is assistant professor of special education with the School of Learning and Teaching at the University of Maine College of Education and Human Development. Her research focuses on literacy and secondary students with and without high incidence disabilities, with a specific focus on written expression. She also explores the role of technology in the classroom, both using it to teach and using it to learn. She has worked with K-12 teachers to implement the use of graphic organizers to support written expression in students with and without high incidence disabilities. Dr. Flanagan serves on the Research and Technology Committee of the Council for Learning Disabilities. She has published articles in various peer reviewed journals and presented at conferences on her research. Prior to joining the faculty at UMaine, she was a special education faculty member at the University of Kentucky. She earned her doctorate from Purdue University in 2012.
Ph.D. in Special Education, 2012, Purdue University
MS.Ed. in Educational Technology, 2008, Purdue University
B.A. in Special Education, 2006, Purdue University
Courses taught at UMaine
- SED 302: Adapting Instruction for Students with Disabilities
- SED 545: Intervention for Reading Difficulties
- SED 546: Universal Design for Learning and Assistive Technology in PreK-12 Classrooms
- SED 553: Special Education Assessment I
- SED 598: Intervention for Writing Difficulties (Special Topics Course)
- Bouck, E. C., Flanagan, S. M., & Cosby, M. (2017). Apps as assistive technology. Encyclopedia of Information Science and Technology (4th ed., pp. 266-276). Hersey, PA: IGI Global.
- Flanagan, S. M., Bouck, E. C., & Cutter, E. (2016). Write Right: Improving and sustaining written expression abilities in middle school students with and without learning disabilities using procedural facilitators. Learning Disabilities: A Multidisciplinary Journal, 21(1), https://js.sagamorepub.com/ldmj/article/view/6742.
- Bouck, E. C., Satsangi, R., & Flanagan, S. (2016). Evaluating apps for students with disabilities: Supporting academic areas and access. Focus on Inclusive Education, 92, 324-328.
- Bouck, E. C., & Flanagan, S. M. (2015). Exploring assistive technology and post-school outcomes for students with severe disabilities. Disability and Rehabilitation: Assistive Technology. (Published Online first March 2015)
- Bouck, E. C., Flanagan, S. M., & Bouck, M. K. (2015). Learning area and perimeter with virtual manipulatives: A pilot study. Journal of Computers in Mathematics and Science Teaching, 34, 381–393.
Follow Sara on Twitter.