Lecturer of Educational Leadership
336 Merrill Hall
University of Maine
Orono, ME 04469
Bio: Maria Frankland is a National Board Certified Counselor and Maine certified school counselor with over 20 years of experience in preK-20 education. She is passionate about helping students overcome the short- and long-term impact of childhood adversity. Dr. Frankland’s research interests center around social and emotional learning, community schools and comprehensive district wellness programs, the impact of trauma on students and teachers, and ways in which trauma-informed approaches may support student development, particularly in rural settings.
Ph.D. in educational leadership, 2020, University of Maine
M.S. in school counseling, 2016, Husson University
M.S. in human relations, 2015, Husson University
B.S. in biochemistry, 1987, University of Dallas
B.A. in biology, 1987, University of Dallas
Courses taught at UMaine
- EAD 566: Inquiry and Evaluation II
- EAD 650: Leadership Studies
- EAD 655: Qualitative Analysis for Scholarly Practitioners
- EAD 698: Stakeholder Engagement
- EAD 698: ST Educational Research for School Leaders
- Fairman, J. C., & Frankland, M. C. (2020). Assessing and supporting students’ social and emotional needs in Maine schools. Retrieved from Orono, ME: http://mepri.maine.edu/posts/
- Frankland, M., Mercado, A., & Biddle, C. (2019). Negotiating culturally responsive leadership in remote rural settings. In E. R. Crawford & L. M. Dorner (Eds.), Educational leadership of immigrants: Case studies in times of change. Philadelphia, PA: Routledge.
- Frankland, M., & Pelletier-Ayer, S. (2019). Becoming trauma-informed: Risks and responsibilities. Maine Schools in Focus. https://umaine.edu/edhd/2019/10/24/maine-schools-in-focus-becoming-trauma-informed-risks-and-responsibilities/
- Mette, I. M., Fairman, J. C., Lech, P., & Frankland, M. C. (2019). Principal and teacher perceptions of performance evaluation and professional growth (PE/PG) system implementation. Retrieved from Orono, ME: http://mepri.maine.edu/posts/
Connect with Maria on Twitter.