Associate Dean of Graduate Education, Research, and Outreach
Associate Professor, Special Education
University of Maine
144 Shibles Hall
Orono, ME 04469-5766
Bio: Jim Artesani is Associate Dean of Graduate Education, Research, and Outreach and an Associate Professor of Special Education with the University of Maine College of Education and Human Development. His research interests include challenging behaviors, inclusive education, and school-wide discipline. Jim gives frequent workshops and consultation to public schools on these topic as well as curriculum and instruction for students with severe disabilities. He is a members of several regional and national organizations and associations.
Ed.D., 1992, West Virginia University
M.Ed., 1983, University of Maine
B.S., 1979, Barrington College
Courses taught at UMaine
- EDU 509 Autism
- SED 402 Adapting Instruction for Students with Disabilities
- SED 509 Curriculum Development: Severe Disabilities
- SED 532 Behavior Management and Intervention
- SED 536 Educational Strategies: Severe Disabilities
- SED 552 Working with Families of Students with Disabilities
- SED 556 Educational Assessment: Severe Disabilities
- SED 563 Positive Supports for Challenging Behaviors
- SED 691 Field Practicum
- Artesani, A.J. (2000). Understanding the purpose of challenging behavior: A guide to conducting functional assessments. Student Enrichment Series. Prentice Hall, Columbus, Ohio.
- Artesani, A.J. & Fairman, M. (2000). Using Distance Education to Provide Graduate Coursework in Maine. In B.L. Ludlow & F. Spooner, (Eds.), Distance education. Restin, Va: Council for Exceptional Children.
- Artesani, A.J., & Mallar, L. (1998). Positive behavior supports in general education settings: Combining person-centered planning and functional analysis. Intervention in school and clinic, 34 (1) 33-38.
- Artesani, A.J. & Brown, D. (1998). A Model for Special Services Program Evaluation. Journal of Research in Rural Education. 14 (2) 116-124.
- Artesani, A.J., Harris, W., & Durant, L.B., & Lindyberg, L. (1998). Principals’ Perspectives on Challenging Behaviors in Maine Schools. [Monograph] Orono, ME: University of Maine College of Education & Human Development/Maine Principal’s Association Research Partnership.
- Artesani, A.J., Goessling, D.P., & Smith, V. (1998). Collaborative teaching over interactive television: The agony and the ecstasy. Rural Special Education Quarterly. 17 (1), 3-11.
- Artesani, A.J., Itkonen, T.M., Fryxell, D., & Woolcock, W.W. (1995). Community instruction. In W.W. Woolcock & J.W. Domeraci, (Eds.), Instructional strategies in the community: A resource guide for community instruction for persons with disabilities. Austin, Tx: Pro-Ed. Publishers.
- Woolcock, W.W. & Artesani, A.J. (1995). Instructional analysis: Sequences of community tasks. In W.W. Woolcock & Domeraci, J. (Eds.), Instructional strategies in the community: A resource guide for community instruction for persons with disabilities. Austin, Tx: Pro-Ed Publishers.