We have compiled a list of frequently asked questions and answers. If you have a question that isn’t featured below, please Contact Us and we will add it to the list!


Who do I talk to about a hold on my account?
Please visit Student Records for detailed information on the different types of enrollment holds and how to resolve them. 

Where do I find my PIN for course registration?
Students must contact their advisor to select their course schedule and receive a PIN. Once you have met with your advisor, they will typically validate your wishlist thereby activating your PIN. For problems or additional information, contact the Associate Dean’s Office by calling 581.3206 or visit 115 Deering Hall.

How do I withdraw from classes?
Information on making schedule changes can be found in the Undergraduate Catalog. Students can drop courses using Mainestreet within the first 10 days of classes. Dropping courses after this date will require the Course Add/Drop Request form with approval from the student’s advisor or the EES Undergraduate Coordinator, and by the Associate Dean.  Students should consult the Academic Calendar for the various drop deadlines and their implications for student billing and transcripts.

Students that wish to withdraw from the University of Maine, should first consult with the EES Undergraduate Coordinator and then contact the Associate Dean’s office by calling 581.3206 or emailing nsfaacademics@maine.edu.

What does it mean if I’m put on a course wait list? Should I enroll in a different course or continue to wait?
Wait list procedures can be found at Student Records.  A student’s decision to remain on the wait list or enroll in a different course is determined by a number of factors including position on the wait list and the particular course(s). We recommend that students consult with the instructor and/or department offering the course for guidance.

If I register for less than 15 credits for the spring or fall semester, what will happen to my financial aid?
While University policies indicate that students registered for 12 or more credits per semester are considered full-time, enrolling in less than 15 credits may impact a student’s financial aid. Students should consult with Student Financial Aid before enrolling in less than 15 credits to see how this decision would impact their financial aid award. 

Where can I find out if credits taken elsewhere transfer to UMaine?
For courses that you have already taken, consult your Transfer Credit Report (visible from your Mainestreet Student Center) to see how and if the course has transferred to UMaine. Any questions on how the course(s) may satisfy degree requirements should be directed to the student’s advisor.

For courses to be taken,  students can use the Transfer Equivalency Tool to determine if courses offered elsewhere will be eligible for UMaine credit. Students need to receive prior approval from their advisor before taking courses at another institution via the Domestic Study Away form.

What Gen Eds should I take?
UMaine requires that all students have a broad foundation in the liberal arts and sciences, regardless of their academic major.  The following General Education requirements are covered with the EES core curriculum: Science, Quantitative Literacy, Writing Competency, and Ethics categories. Within the Human Values and Social Contexts requirements, the Population and the Environment and Social Contexts and Institutions categories are also covered by the core curriculum. The Western Cultural Traditions and Cultural Diversity and International Perspective categories might be covered depending on student course choices within the EES curriculum. We recommend that students take an Artistic and Creative Expression course early in their academic career, and then coordinate GenEd choices with their advisor. For a full listing of courses that satisfy General Education requirements, visit the Student Records web site. 

In what order should I take my courses?
Students should visit our Advising Center for our sample course sequence and other curriculum materials. The EES curriculum is flexible, and this sequence is therefore a suggested framework to guide course selection and is not set in stone.

How do I get permission to take a course if I don’t meet the prerequisite?
Students will need to speak to the course instructor and receive written permission (in the form of an email or a signature on an Add/Drop form if after the add deadline.)  Students should also speak with their advisor to make sure that taking the course without meeting the prerequisite(s) is appropriate for his/her circumstances. Once permission to register for the course is granted, students should forward a registration request with instructor permission to the EES office at ees@maine.edu or 207.581.3176 or visit EES in 111 Bryand Global Science Center.

I have a course conflict(s). Can I substitute courses into the curriculum?
EES is an interdisciplinary program, and as such, we offer flexibility that is not always found in other degree programs on campus. We encourage students to “think outside the box” and consider course substitutions for core and concentration electives. All students should receive advisor permission before registering for courses not listed in our curriculum. They will also need to submit a degree progress student exception form and have the formed signed by their advisor and by the EES Undergraduate Coordinator.

Study Abroad

Where can I learn about study abroad opportunities in EES or other programs?
There are many study abroad opportunities available for students. Recently, our students have received credit for study in Nepal, Iceland, the United Kingdom and Australia.  More information can be found on our EES Study Abroad and Away page, or at the UMaine Study Abroad Office web site. If you don’t see a program you are interested in listed on the Study Abroad web site, you can petition the Study Abroad Office to have this program approved for participation.

If I study abroad for a semester, will that add an extra semester before I can graduate?
For the vast majority of students, studying abroad would not add an extra semester if it is planned well in advance. For more information, visit the UMaine Study Abroad website, or contact your advisor.


Am I eligible for any scholarship opportunities?
EES students have been awarded a variety of scholarships at the program, college, and university level. Please visit our scholarship page to find more information about qualifying and applying to scholarships.

I’m interested in attending a conference. How do I find funding and scholarships so that I can attend?
The UMaine Center for Undergraduate Research (CUGR) provides travel grants to students that are conducting faculty-mentored research. The Honors College has a number of scholarship and fellowship opportunities for student travel. Finally, some conferences provide discounts on lodging and registration fees in exchange for work.

Switching to EES & Declaring Your Concentration

How do I change to an EES Major?
Students interested in switching to EES from another major are encouraged to explore our curriculum to learn more about our program requirements. After investigating our core and concentration requirements, students will need to meet with our undergraduate coordinator. To request a meeting, please email ees@maine.edu, or call 207-581-3176.

How do I declare or change my concentration?
Students will need to fill out a change plan form, which can be found here. It is also available in the EES Office in 111 Bryand Global Science Center. Students will need to have the form signed by their advisor and then have the form signed by the EES Undergraduate Coordinator.

When should I meet with my advisor?
It’s never a bad time to schedule a meeting with your advisor if you have any questions. It is especially important to meet with your advisor to discuss your long term goals for college, your class schedule, and during the enrollment season, to receive your enrollment PIN.

Job & Career Opportunities

What careers are available in EES?
EES graduates have found positions at consulting firms, municipal planning departments, state and federal agencies, law firms, non-profits and more. Find our list of resources for jobs and careers here!

How do I explain to my parents that EES is the right major for me, as opposed to engineering, medicine, etc…?
A B.S. in Ecology and Environmental Sciences provides a broad-based degree that can be used as the foundation for a lot of jobs. Our alumni work in park and resource management, sustainable food systems, regulatory agencies and pursue advanced degrees in law school and natural sciences. Visit our alumni profiles for more information on the many career options available to EES graduates.

The demand for environmental scientists is on the rise. For more information, check out these articles in Peterson’s  and National Geographic. 

When should I start thinking about graduate school?
Students should start thinking about graduate school by their third year of their undergraduate program. These blogs provide helpful resources on finding and getting into graduate school:  How to get into grad school  , A Primer on Getting Into Graduate School , and Primer on How to Apply and Get into Graduate School. The UMaine Graduate School has many relevant graduate programs for EES undergraduates, including M.S. and Ph.D. tracks in EES. 

How can I get hands-on research experience in college?
Visit our Job and Career Resources page for advice and strategies on getting hands-on research experience. Read our student blog from EES 217: Field Research Experience in EES as well as our Students on the Job page for ideas on the types of hands-on research experiences that are available to our students.


What clubs should I participate in if I’m interested in environmental science?
There are many clubs and groups to join that involve environmental science. EES students are members of groups such as the Fishing Club, Geology Club, The Wildlife Society and the Green Team. For a database of student organizations, or to find out how to start your own organization, visit Campus Activities and Student Engagement.