Explaining the process
1. Choose your course from the recommended semester listings.
2. Create your account at ExplorEC. (Remember to have your parent sign the application).
3. Apply for your course and meet with your school counselor to approve your application. (School counselor info not needed for accepted students). All applications materials are due a week before the start date of your requested course.
Contact us at email@example.com or 207.581.8024 with any questions.
Course registration is subject to space availability and registration will be confirmed via email. The processing of your application may take a minimum of 2-5 business days.
- For Maine students attending Maine public high schools, state-approved independent institutions, or state-registered home schools: A maximum of twelve (12) credits can be covered by Department of Education funding per fiscal year (July 1-June 30). Students interested in taking more credits than those approved by the Department of Education may do so, but will be charged an Early College tuition rate for any credits over the maximum of twelve (12). Eligibility guidelines are determined by the Maine Department of Education.
- For Maine Students who pay tuition to any high school in Maine: Students may take courses at the new Early College rate. Students will pay a discounted tuition of $145 per credit compared to the standard rate of $309 per credit.
- For Out of State Students (including International): The program allows high school students from out-of-state (non-Maine residents) to take college courses. Out-of-state students pay a discounted rate of $145 /credit hour. (Compared to the non-resident rate of $1,001/credit hour and the NEBHE rate of $524/credit hour) Students will choose out-of-state as their high school in the ExplorEC portal.
- For University of Maine Early College Students: It is important to note because you are not subject to mandatory fees, you do not have access to the Rec Center, campus recreation (e.g., intramural sports, sports clubs, Outdoor Adventure Center), public transit, university-sponsored student activities, athletic events (i.e., student tickets).
Schedule An Advising Appointment with Early College!
Get more out of your Early College experience by setting up an appointment with our Early College Advisor, Seth Ordway. Discuss course options, career pathways, and any questions you might have about taking Early College courses with the University of Maine and it’s regional campus at Machias.
How has the Early College Program affected your Family?
Oh, it’s just been a lifesaver! Tommy wanted to keep taking math classes, but he couldn’t do this through high school because he topped out. To be able to have him be on campus last year and attend classes and be with other students, that was really important. We liked that he was able to be with his classmates and peers, even with some of them being older. It’s just been wonderful! He’s been able to take everything so far that we were looking for.
~ Suzanna, Early College parent