student looking off thoughtfully with a pen in her hand. She is sitting in front of a stack of books, a cup of coffee, and an open notebook.
Academic FAQs

Before you apply:

  1. What are the benefits of Early College?
  2. What is FERPA? And why is it important?
  3. What are the different programs?
  4. Can I take a THREE week course?
  5. How do I apply?
  6. How do I apply for an Early College course being taught at my high school?
  1. High school students who enroll in early college courses are more likely to graduate high school, enroll in college, and earn a college degree. As a result, students are more prepared and successful in their chosen career path. 

For example:

    • Courses are tuition-free for students (up to 12 credits per academic year). Students are responsible for specific course fees and books in some EC programs. (please see our eligibility FAQ to determine if you are eligible for this)
    • Students can save up to $14,000 in tuition, fees, and other expenses (estimate is based on transferring up to 30 credits to UMaine).
    • Students can show college admissions officers that they are ready for more difficult coursework.
    • Students build a college transcript while still in high school. The college credits earned are transferable. While we hope students will attend one of Maine’s Public Universities or Community Colleges, these credits may be transferred to other colleges. Students will need to check with their institution about transferring credits when they enroll.
    • Early College programs can provide rigorous courses to enhance the high school curriculum.
    • Universities may offer a variety of courses not available at the high school. Some programs offer pathways to a career that can help students navigate through college to future employment, or explore interests before choosing a major.
    • Students who participate in Early College have better study skills, more academic confidence, and less anxiety about the transition to college.
    • Early College students who graduate from high school and enroll in a Maine Public University are more likely to enroll in college (persist) for a second year. 
    • Students who participate in Early College are less likely to need remedial courses in college. Remedial, or developmental courses, are courses for students who graduate from high school but are not yet ready for college. 
    • Students who enter college with Early College credits are more likely to earn a degree on time than students with no Early College credits.

2. FERPA is the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act created by the federal government to protect student information.

Students may give their parents or other 3rd parties access to their information by completing the FERPA form and submitting it to us. Regardless of age, students enrolled in college courses are covered by federal FERPA law. Official FERPA Guidelines.

The federal Department of Education has put out a video to discuss how this works in detail.

3. We offer several different programs.Our programs are for high schools students that are Maine Residents, Non-Maine Residents (including international students) and for students different stages of school or in specific career pathways. Read more here. 

4.We do not recommend three-week courses for students in high school as the required work is approximately 40 hours a week. Please note that the three-week term is in an accelerated format compared to a typical 15-week college course. However, 11th and 12th-grade students may be eligible to enroll in a three-week summer course. Approval is given on a case-by-case basis. Contact for more information.

        5. To apply:

    • Choose your course from the semester listings.
    • Create your account at ExplorEC. (Remember to have your parent sign the application).
    • Apply for your course and meet with your school counselor to approve your application.

You can also view our step-by-step video.

          6. To apply for an EC course being taught at your high school:

    • After logging into your account at ExplorEC, navigate to Apply for Classes.
    • In Apply for Classes, navigate to the Class(es) in your High School tab.
    • Search for your concurrent enrollment course and apply for this. (Remember to have your parental consent signed and counselor approval).

You can also view our step-by-step video.

After you apply:

  1. I’m enrolled in a course. What happens next?
  2. Do I have to follow any student UMaine guidelines?
  3. What is orientation? Where is it located?
  4. I have a question about my course. Who do I contact?
  5. Can I drop a course if I am not doing well?
  6. Is the grade I receive permanently on my record?
  7. How can I get a transcript of classes I have taken to give to my high school counselor?
  8. How much time should I be spending on my college course?

1. Once we enroll you in a course, you will receive several important emails from us.

You can view the following video for step by step details. What next?

To activate your UMS account please refer to the following instructions, here

2. Yes, all students are required to follow the guidelines in the University Student Handbook.

3. Orientation happens in 2 different formats. In the fall, we typically hold a live orientation on campus. (Due to COVID-19 this will be strictly remote).

Other semesters, we realize that travel to campus is not easy for parents and students, so we offer orientation through your learning portal, Brightspace. Students will be mailed a pre-orientation packet prior to the start of classes.

4. If you have a question that is specifically related to your course, please contact your professor. You can email them directly with questions. Some may have office hours and times where you can call or meet in person. Please refer to your syllabus for this information.

5. Yes. If you need to drop a course, you may request this in your ExplorEC portal. You will need to pay close attention to the drop date deadline of your course to be sure you are dropping before the last date that a W will appear on your transcript. You can find this date when you click on the calendar icon next to your course under “This Week’s Schedule” on your MaineStreet Student Center.

6. Yes, it is.  Because of this, it is imperative that you contact us by email if you need help. If you need to drop or withdraw from your course, please access your account on ExplorEC.

7. This is very easy. Any student may obtain an unofficial transcript directly from MaineStreet.  Transcript Directions

8. A good guideline for homework is that for each college credit you take, you’ll spend one hour in the classroom and two to three hours on homework each week. So outside of lectures (live or recorded), a three-credit course would require 6-9 hours a week. These homework tasks can include readings, working on assignments, or studying for exams.