Database Admin Assistant
University of Maine – Campus Recreation
Student Job Description
University Job Classification: Student Computer Technician IV
Date Modified: 4/21/2020
Informal Title: Database Admin Assistant
Supervisor (Submit Application To): Sharon Kenney, Assistant Director for Marketing & Membership
The primary purpose of this position is to assist the Assistant Director for Marketing & Memberships with tasks involving database administration, membership services, and front-line IT support. The Database Admin Assistant will help with database administration tasks such as troubleshooting errors, 2nd-tier membership services such as refunds and enrollment changes, and front-line IT support for Windows 7 and MacOS computers and peripherals. S/he will also be responsible for some degree of supervision of the Marketing Assistants, including Quality Control of marketing materials.
The Database Admin Assistant is responsible for facilitating a fun, safe and welcoming environment for participants and staff members at all times. Before employment begins s/he is required to achieve certifications in Professional Rescuer CPR, Standard First Aid, Blood Borne Pathogens, and the use of an Automated External Defibrillator… these are standard certifications required of all Campus Recreation employees.
Duties and Responsibilities
The responsibilities of this position include:
- Learn the In’s and Out’s of our Recreation Management Database
- Solve hardware and software issues on the front line
- Troubleshoot database problems
- Assist professional staff in accurately building new activities in the database
- Perform updates to drivers and other software
- Research customer’s accounts to settle discrepancies and/or balances due
- Be friendly, approachable, hard-working, and have attention to detail
- Work with and assist student staff who may have questions about our computers/databases/software
- Level 1 Quality Assurance for Marketing Materials made by the Marketing Assistants
- Assist with website maintenance
- Respond to injuries and assist in immediate first aid and proper emergency procedures
- Provide a welcoming, inclusive environment for staff and participants
- Attend staff meetings and trainings
- Perform other duties as assigned
As a Database Admin Assistant, you are expected to be a friendly, knowledgeable and productive advocate and publicist for Campus Recreation’s facilities and programs. We expect all employees to have a positive attitude, show up for work on time, dress professionally, and perform all assigned duties in a professional manner. In addition, we expect all employees to treat everyone with respect.
- Experience in administration of workstations running Windows 7 and MacOS
- Dependability, responsibility, and punctuality
- Professional attire and behavior
- Ability to work 15-30 hours a week, at least 3 days a week, in shifts at least 3 hours long. Some of these shifts can be on evenings and weekends if preferred, though some must be during traditional business hours.
- Enthusiasm, desire to learn, and desire to work as part of a team
- Ability to operate independently within departmental standards of conduct and professional expectations
- With proper training, awareness of risk management and safety concerns
- Awareness of and appreciation for individual uniqueness and diversity
- Ability to obtain certifications in Professional Rescuer CPR, Standard First Aid, Blood Borne Pathogens, and the use of an Automated External Defibrillator
- Commitment to student development and leadership
- Ability to work during academic year and school breaks
- Excellent customer service skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent decision-making ability
- Advanced computer skills
- Ability to use and troubleshoot various types of standard office equipment
- Two references (professional or academic)
Pay Level: $12.50
* Work Study / Work Merit: Work Study – Optional
Time Commitment: Minimum 15 hours per week.
Minimum Shift: 3 hours
Shift Days/Times: Flexible, but some traditional business hours required
Supervisory Responsibilities: Yes
All applicants must submit these 3 items to Sharon Kenney in order to be considered:
- Cover Letter
- Completed Application
If you need help with any of these, contact the Career Center.
The University of Maine Campus Recreation Department is committed to achieving excellence through cultural diversity, and actively encourages applications from women, persons of color, and individuals from other underrepresented groups.
A Member of the University of Maine System