Internship Story: Kaitlin Halle at Means Wealth Management

Kaitlin Halle, a senior from Old Orchard Beach, wanted to spend her last summer as a college student doing something that would impact her future. Through personal connections, she forged an internship opportunity at Means Wealth Management in Bangor, Maine.

Why did you choose to intern here?

I had an exploratory conversation about internships at Means Wealth Management with Erin Barry, CEO, and TJ Herlihy, Financial Advisor. They were so kind and listened to my professional goals. Means Wealth Management is a family-owned firm, and I’ve always worked at my family business. Working in a family environment while away from home made me incredibly comfortable.

What were your internship tasks?

One of our key tasks was migrating financial plans from our old system, MoneyGuidePro, to the new system, Right Capital. This process required a significant amount of time and attention to detail. We were assigned additional responsibilities once we completed the migration for all clients. These included reviewing advisors’ client accounts to ensure they were accurately allocated, whether the accounts were with Fidelity or another financial institution. 

Kaitlin and Bryce at Means Wealth Management

What did you like most about your internship?

One of the aspects I appreciated most about this internship was the opportunity to delve deeply into clients’ financial accounts and understand how their assets were allocated. Whether I was working with 401(k)s, Traditional IRAs, Roth accounts, or regular taxable investment accounts, the experience was invaluable. While learning about these concepts in class is important, exporting and managing each stock and its price and units across hundreds of different companies was an experience that truly brought the theory to life. This work provided me with a deeper understanding of financial management and investment strategies, which is priceless in my career development.

What were the biggest challenges you faced as an intern?

One of the biggest challenges I faced during my internship was the uncertainty about whether I needed more knowledge to excel in the role. Despite being a senior, I sometimes wondered whether my understanding was sufficient to step confidently into the finance world without a degree. I quickly realized that learning and applying the theory in real-world scenarios are very different things. To overcome this, I had to accept that it was okay not to know everything and to be comfortable asking for help when needed. This experience taught me the value of continuous learning and seeking guidance, making me more adaptable and confident in my abilities.

What did you learn during your internship that you couldn’t have learned in the classroom?

One of the most rewarding aspects of this internship was the opportunity to learn how to conduct a financial plan, especially having the chance to do so alongside a client. I was fortunate to sit in a financial planning meeting, where I actively participated by recording all the information provided by the client and accurately inputting it into the system. This hands-on experience deepened my understanding of financial planning and allowed me to contribute directly to the client’s financial journey.

How will this experience help you as you move forward in your career?

This internship represents a crucial step in advancing my career and aligning with my professional aspirations and personal values. I have always approached my work with dedication and a commitment to excellence, consistently striving to achieve the best possible outcomes. By managing the export and import of clients’ personal information and assets, I am honing my technical skills and contributing to their success in a meaningful way. Ensuring that clients feel confident and secure in the handling of their assets is something I deeply value. The trust they place in me is a responsibility I take seriously, and it motivates me to maintain the highest standards of integrity and care in all my professional endeavors.

Any advice to share with other students considering an internship?

Embrace the challenges that come with growth. It’s completely normal to feel uncertain or even overwhelmed at times. I experience this, too, even when doing what I’m best at. However, when you face those challenges head-on, the outcomes can lead to some of the most rewarding moments of your life. Valuable experiences are earned through hard work and perseverance. By being open to change and willing to tackle challenges, you set yourself apart from others and build the confidence and commitment needed to achieve your goals.

Why did you decide to study business at the Maine Business School?

I chose to study at the Maine Business School because of the solid foundation I had already built during high school. Coming into college with over 21 college credits, I knew my goals would differ from many of my peers. My plan was straightforward: get in, work hard, and graduate early. Now, as I prepare to graduate ahead of schedule, I’m leaving with a degree, hands-on learning experiences, and invaluable connections. These experiences have been crucial in shaping my career path and are assets that I will carry with me into the future.

Hometown: Old Orchard Beach, Maine
Class: 2025
Major/Concentration: Finance/International Business
Internship Title: Summer Intern