Congratulations to the recipients of the 2014 Bodwell Center Awards!
In an effort to recognize the fantastic volunteer work that students, staff, and the community the BCSV presents several awards annually.
The 2014 award recipients are:
Active Citizenship Award - UVAC (University Volunteer Ambulance Corps)
Barbara Bodwell Award - Kappa Delta Phi NAS
Community Partner Award – Welcome To Housing
Black Bear Volunteer of the Year Award - Jarrod Duggan
The Barbara Bodwell Award is presented to a member of the Greek system that has participated in or planned service projects that were innovative and effectively reached the off campus community. This award includes a $500.00 gift from the Bodwell family demonstrating their appreciation for group service. Criteria for this award include:
- A strong commitment to community service evidenced by the quality and/or quantity of service projects;
- A fitting role model for other student groups by encouraging leadership and community involvement,
- Provides service that meets the community’s needs, and;
- A recognized member of the Greek system.
The Community Partner Award is awarded to a business, individual, or community agency that has contributed significantly to a University of Maine student service project for at least one year. The contribution could be in the form of extensive funds or other resources and materials needed for service projects. It may also be in the form of interaction that encourages students’ involvement and responsibility in community service.
The Dean Lucy Award was created to recognize a faculty or staff member who has gone out of his/her way in service to the University of Maine community and surrounding area. This recipient should also encourage and support student community service.
The Active Citizenship Award goes to a student or student group/organization who has dedicated many hours to volunteering, community service projects, or service to the University of Maine. Criteria for this award include:
- Individual – Enrolled full-time at UMaine, Group – recognized student organization,
- Involved in community service and participates as a volunteer in a variety of community service projects and events,
- Helps connect the UMaine campus to the off-campus community by involving others in community service,
- Evidence of leadership and ongoing commitment to service, and;
- Demonstrates dependable, and enthusiastic qualities, and is of good moral character.
The Servant Heart Scholarship Fund – will be open for applications in February 2015
The University of Maine System is pleased to announce The Servant Heart Scholarship Fund. This scholarship fund is made possible by an anonymous gift to benefit students who are committed to community service and volunteer outreach. The Servant Heart Scholarship is offered as an expression of the donors’ Christian faith. The scholarship fund is intended to benefit students who connect public service with their academic work and who apply practical solutions to real world problems. Applying students must exhibit their devotion to community service by having been recently involved in an outreach project.
The 2014 scholarship award is $2,100.
- Undergraduate student continuing into the 2015-16 school year
- Have and maintain at least a 3.0 GPA
- Performed or led a volunteer outreach effort in the past year
- Strong record of citizenship, without academic or disciplinary violations
- Demonstrated commitment to community service
- Enrolled at the University of Maine.