In an effort to recognize the fantastic volunteer work of students, staff, and the community, the Bodwell center presents several awards annually.
The Servant Heart Scholarship Fund – Applications for 2020 Scholarships due APRIL 4
This scholarship fund is made possible by an anonymous gift to benefit students who are committed to community service and volunteer outreach. The Servant Heart Scholarship is offered as an expression of the donors’ Christian faith. The scholarship fund is intended to benefit students who connect public service with their academic work and who apply practical solutions to real world problems. Applying students must exhibit their devotion to community service by having been recently involved in an outreach project. The 2020 scholarship program will include 4 scholarships of $2,500 each.
DUE TO THE CAMPUS SHUTDOWN, THE DEADLINE HAS BEEN EXTENDED AND APPLICATIONS WILL NOW BE ACCEPTED VIA EMAIL. PLEASE SEND THE COMPLETED APPLICATION PACKAGE TO UM.BODWELLCENTER@MAINE.EDU.
Servant Heart App 2020 – PDF Document
Servant Heart App 2020 – Word Document
Recipients will be announced at the Student Life Leadership Awards Ceremony at 4:30 pm Thursday, April 23 at the Buchanan Alumni House.
Emma Freeman – Junior, Microbiology Major
Maegan Perrault – Junior, Food Science and Human Nutrition Major
Jonathan Eramian – Junior, Earth and Climate Science Major
Kaitlin Robinson – Sophomore, Communication Science & Disorders and Children Development & Family Relations Double Major.
- Undergraduate student continuing into the 2020-2021 school year
- Have and maintain at least a 3.0 GPA
- Performed or led a volunteer outreach effort in the past year
- Strong record of citizenship at the University of Maine
- Without academic or disciplinary violations
- Demonstrated commitment to community service
- Enrolled full-time at the University of Maine
*This scholarship is generally given out in April of each year. Watch for applications to be released in March.
Questions can be directed to Lisa Morin, Coordinator of the Bodwell Center, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (207) 581-4194.
The Bodwell Center Award Program
The Community Partner Award recognizes a business, individual, or community agency that has contributed significantly to a University of Maine student service project for at least one year. The contribution could be in the form of extensive funds or other resources and materials needed for service projects. Their contribution may also be in the form of interaction that encourages students’ involvement and responsibility in community service.
The Dean Lucy Award recognizes a faculty or staff member who has gone out of his/her way in service to the University of Maine community and surrounding area. This recipient should also encourage and support student community service of their students.
The Black Bear Volunteer Award recognizes a student (graduate or undergraduate) that has made significant contributions demonstrating extraordinary commitment in their service activities which enhance the University of Maine and its surround community.
The Active Citizenship Award recognizes a student or student group/organization who has dedicated many hours to volunteering, community service projects, or service to the University of Maine.
Criteria for this award include:
- Individual – Enrolled full-time at UMaine, Group – recognized student organization,
- Involved in community service and participates as a volunteer in a variety of community service projects and events,
- Helps connect the UMaine campus to the off-campus community by involving others in community service,
- Evidence of leadership and ongoing commitment to service, and;
- Demonstrates dependable, and enthusiastic qualities, and is of good moral character.