Meghan Royle

The effects of environmental lighting on circadian rhythm entrainment and voluntary alcohol intake: possible role for melanopsin signaling?

The effects of environmental lighting on circadian rhythm entrainment and voluntary alcohol intake: possible role for melanopsin signaling

With her research, Meghan Royle, biology, is attempting to find a link between daily biological rhythms and voluntary ethanol intake through a protein found in photosensitive cells.

Royle is hoping her research can be used to help those with addiction. “This project specifically aims to help people better understand some of the mechanisms involved in dependence and possibly lead to the development of better treatments,” says Royle. “ I’d like to help as many people suffering from addiction as I can and I felt my skills were better suited for research as opposed to counseling.”

One of her favorite characteristics of UMaine, beside the dedicated students and staff, is the time in the fall when peak foliage reaches UMaine and casts the campus in beautiful colors.

2019 UMaine Student Symposium