Satisfactory Academic Progress

Federal financial aid regulations require financial aid recipients to make progress toward earning their degree, stay above specific GPA minimums and to complete the degree within a maximum time-frame. You can lose eligibility for aid if you are not doing well in your classes and/or if it is taking a very long time to earn your degree. If you are not meeting the minimum standards, even if you are allowed by your academic dean to continue your enrollment, you will have to do so without benefit of financial aid.

At the University of Maine, there are separate Satisfactory Academic Progress Policies for Undergraduates and Graduate students. For more detailed information on each policy, click on one of the links below.

What If There Are Special Circumstances?

Every student has the right to appeal in writing if you believe that you have special circumstances which have impacted your academic progress. If you want to appeal, please complete the appropriate Appeal Form below. Send the completed Appeal Form along with appropriate supporting documentation to the attention of the Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal Committee, Office of Student Financial Aid, 5781 Wingate Hall, Orono, ME, 04469-5781. The Office of Student Financial Aid will cancel aid for any student who does not appeal, or for whom an appeal is denied. If you have questions about this policy, contact the Office of Student Financial Aid.

For the ease of fillable forms we recommend using Internet Explorer or Chrome browsers