How to Withdraw

If you withdraw from the university, you will need to contact your Dean’s office to let them know your intentions. After you speak with your Dean’s office and notify them of your intent to withdraw, the Office of Student Financial Aid will perform necessary financial aid adjustments within 7 – 10 business days and will send you an updated award notice on MaineStreet. The Bursar’s Office will also mail a final copy of your bill, indicating what aid adjustments were performed. If you have specific questions about the impact of withdrawing to your financial aid, please first consult with your Dean’s office who will connect you with a member of our staff to further assist with your questions.

Return of Title IV Funds

Policy for Reimbursement to Title IV Accounts for Students Who Withdraw:

When a student receiving Title IV student financial aid withdraws from all courses, the aid must be adjusted in accordance with rules established by the U.S. Department of Education. These calculations may result in the student owing a University balance.

Return of Title IV Funds / Institutional Refunds

When a student withdraws, University policies and federal requirements may result in charges and financial aid being reduced. If a student withdraws on or before the 60% point of the enrollment period, the federal refund calculation is performed. These student refund calculations follow a specific percentage of adjustment based on the date of withdrawal and may require a return of financial aid to the financial aid accounts. Refund calculations take into account all federal financial aid received. The calculation is generally based upon the percentage of the enrollment period which the student has completed.

The day the student officially withdraws is determined to be the withdrawal date. If the student ceases attendance without providing official notification of withdrawal to the institution, the mid-point of the payment period will be the withdrawal date for the purpose of returning Title IV funds.

Return of Funds

Funds returned as a result of a refund or overpayment are returned to the Title IV accounts in an order prescribed by law and regulations.

If you have any questions regarding the Refund Calculation for Withdrawals, please contact the Financial Aid Office for more information.