Procedures and Guidance for Controlled Substances

Prior Approval

All research and/or teaching activities involving the use of controlled substances must have prior written approval from the appropriate campus regulatory body.

The approving body is typically the UMaine Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC). If unsure, or the use of controlled substances is not related to the use of live vertebrate animals, contact the Office of Research Compliance for guidance. Once the research/teaching activity has been approved, the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) registrant shall purchase controlled substances from licensed vendors using his/her own registration number.

The registrant shall not purchase controlled substances for other personnel, or for use in other activities that have not received prior approval.

Up Next: Licensing and Registration for Researchers

Proper Controlled Substance Management Menu

  1. Prior Approval [current page]
  2. Licensing and Registration for Researchers
  3. Storage and Security
  4. Disposal
  5. Reporting Theft or Loss
  6. Recordkeeping