Grant Application Guidelines
The Cultural Affairs Fund is to be used to make available to members of the campus community cultural experiences which supplement the regular academic programs of the University of Maine. All events sponsored by these funds should be open to the general University community.
To be considered for funding, applicants must submit an application and budget via the Grant Application Form (accessed at the link above) before the application deadline. Grant application deadlines fall on the last Monday of September, November, January, and March.
FY18 CA/DLS Grant Cycles
Grant Deadline For projects starting on this date or later
September 25, 2017 October 23, 2017
November 27, 2017 December 22, 2017
January 29, 2018 February 26, 2018
March 26, 2018 April 23, 2018
- The committee typically awards grants ranging from $250 to $3000.
- It is the Committee’s goal to provide funding for new programs. The Committee encourages continuing programs to seek other sources of support.
- Proposals with broad public appeal are given priority by the Committee. When a proposed program combines instructional and public presentations, Committee funding will focus on the public aspect.
All Cultural Affairs events must take place on the University of Maine campus or at other campus-related locations.
- Only individuals or organizations affiliated with the University of Maine can be funded. Funding must be distributed through the University accounting system.
- The Committee will not award more than 50% of the total expenses for any event.
- Requests may include funding for equipment with a cost of less than $500. Equipment costing more than $500 is not eligible for CADLS funding.
- Funding will not be provided for receptions or other social functions.
- Funds may not be used to send individuals or groups on tours or to support events that are primarily components of academic courses.
- Grants will not fund UMaine employee wages.
- Proposals for events that have already occurred will not be eligible for funding. Applicants should plan accordingly so that requests are submitted in a timely manner.
- In addition, please refer to the updated Use of University Funds Administrative Practice Letter for guidance with expenditure allowances. This APL applies to all sources of University funding not just CADLS funds.
- The Committee will meet no later than two weeks after the grant proposal deadline to discuss and award funding for the grant proposals.
- Applicants may attend the Committee’s meetings to discuss their proposal at the committee’s discretion.
- Due to limited resources, the number of grant proposals received, and the total amount of funding requested, awards may be granted at a lower level than was requested.
Notice of Award:
- Applicants will receive notification from the Committee Chair no later than a week following the meeting the grant proposals were reviewed.
- All promotional materials for funded events must acknowledge support from the Cultural Affairs / Distinguished Lecture Series Fund, i.e. This event is supported in part by a grant from the Cultural Affairs / Distinguished Lecture Series Fund.
- It is the responsibility of the requesting department/group to fund, via a university account, all expenses associated with the event, as those expenses arise, and to maintain a record of receipts and invoices. Approved expenses will be reimbursed up to the awarded amount, but no more than 50% of the total expenses (see process below).
- Within 60 days of the conclusion of a funded event, grantees are required to complete the Grant Report Form located at the top of this page.
- You will also need to submit the Proposed-versus-Actuals Budget Form (xlsx) which shows the expected revenues and expenses versus the actual revenues and expenses. This form is available for download from the link at the top of this page. This form should be completed by the individual who coordinates the budget in your area.
- After all expenses for the event have been incurred, an Adjusting Journal Entry Form must be submitted via email to email@example.com or by campus mail to CA/DLS, c/o President’s Office, 200 Alumni Hall so that the cost(s) associated with the event may be transferred from departmental account(s) to the CA/DLS account. The Adjusting Entry Form must be accompanied by both the corresponding GL printouts showing the expenses and the related receipts/invoices.
- Please Note: Proposed versus Actual Budget Forms, Adjusting Entry Forms, GL printouts and receipts are due within 60 days of the event. CA/DLS funds will not be provided for an awarded event more than 60 days after it occurs.
- Additionally, copies of promotional material and publicity, including reviews is available, must also be submitted within 60 days by uploading them to the Grant Report Form, or sending them via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by campus mail to CA/DLS, c/o President’s Office, 200 Alumni Hall.
Please call 581.1512 or email email@example.com, if you have any questions.