Family Code Night to be held in Washington County
During the first week of December, STEM Guides Downeast is hosting Family Code Night at multiple locations across Washington County.
Family Code Night is a free family event at which children in grades 4–8 and their parents do their first hour of coding together.
Nationwide, the family-engaging evening events are offered at schools, libraries and community buildings as part of the “Computer Science for All” movement.
The event features an introduction to coding using Scratch; introducing students and parents to the limitless possibilities and potential that comes with a career in computer sciences. The events are 60 to 90 minutes long and fully facilitated by the host at each location. More information is online.
Remaining events this week:
- 3–4 p.m. Dec. 6 at Washington Academy in East Machias
- 3:30–4:30 p.m. Dec. 6 at Porter Memorial Library in Machias
- 5–6 p.m. Dec. 7 at Peabody Memorial Library in Jonesport
- 5:30–7 p.m. Dec. 7 at EdGE building in Cherryfield
- 6–7 p.m. Dec. 7 at Edmunds Elementary School in Dennysville
- 10–11 a.m. Dec. 9 at Milbridge Public Library in Milbridge
STEM Guides Downeast connects STEM resources and activities to youth age 10–18 and their families in Washington County. STEM Guides Downeast partners include Axiom Education & Training Center, University of Maine Cooperative Extension 4-H and the Maine Mathematics and Science Alliance. Financial support comes from the National Science Foundation.