Finance and work

Finance and banking

  • Your I-20/DS-2019 form will list the estimated amount of money required for your studies or research at UMaine.
  • The amount listed for undergraduate students is for two academic semesters and does not include summer months.
  • The amount listed for graduate students is for 12 months, which includes summer enrollment.
  • Tuition and fee estimates are based on six credits at the graduate level or 15 credits at the undergraduate level each semester. Tuition and fees are subject to modification at any time by the University of Maine System Board of Trustees.
  • Your UMaine bill is due by Aug. 15 for the fall semester and Jan. 15 for the spring semester. Arrange payment by the deadline to avoid late fees. For undergraduate students, this should be equal to half of the annual amount indicated on your I-20/DS-2019. You may choose to pay prior to your arrival by wire transfer or with a credit card. Local banks often require a waiting period of up to two weeks to honor international bank drafts or out-of-state checks. For a list of payment options, visit
  • During your travels it is not wise to carry large amounts of cash. It is recommended that you carry only $200-$300 to cover your travel expenses.
  • If you have a graduate assistantship, be aware that you will receive your first paycheck on Sept. 30 for fall arrival; Jan. 31 for spring arrival. The January paycheck will be smaller than normal, because it will include payment only for days worked in January.

Working in the U.S.

Federal law regulates working in the U.S. International students are not allowed to work off-campus except with special permission. Most students are not eligible for off-campus work authorization until they have completed two semesters. Other regulations apply, so seek advice from OIP if considering an off-campus internship or practical training experience. Student employment on campus is allowed without additional permission from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS); however, it is limited to 20 hours per week during the academic year. You can work full time during spring, summer and winter breaks. J-1 students need a letter from an OIP adviser before beginning work. Visit OIP for further information and advising.