Eligibility for a Program Extension
A student in F-1 or J-1 status is eligible for a program extension if they are in good academic standing at the University of Maine and if they have made regular progress toward earning their degree.
Your application for an F-1 or J-1 Program Extension must be made to the Office of International Programs prior to the expiration of your current Form I-20 for Form DS-2019, preferably during the 60 day period prior to the expiration of your current Form I-20 or Form DS-2019. Failure to request a program extension will result in a violation of your immigration status.
1. Gather financial documents to show you have sufficient funds for the entire extended period or 12 months, whichever is the shorter period of time. Refer to the chart below, which shows estimated expenses for one semester and based on the number of credits you need to complete your program. Adjust the budget if you need more than one semester. A new I-20 or DS-2019 cannot be issued without updated financial documents. Financial documents must be dated within the last 12 months, and might include one or more of the following:
- letter showing proof of assistantship or scholarship
- official bank statement or letter showing account balance
- affidavit of support if the bank statement is not in your name (Affidavit of support)
2. Log in to eOIP using your MaineStreet credentials, click on “F-1 & J-1 Student Services”, then click on “Program extension request”. Complete this form and upload financial documentation.
3. When you click “Submit”, the form is routed to your academic advisor for their recommendation.
4. OIP will be notified when your academic advisor approves your request for the extension.
5. OIP reviews your request and financial documents. If all is in order, your request will be processed and a new I-20 or DS-2019 will be issued; you will be notified by email when it is ready for pick up at 300 Stodder Hall.
Below is a chart showing estimated expenses for one semester, and based on various numbers of credits needed.
|Estimated expenses for one semester (4 mo), for program extensions|
|Undergraduate||3 credits||6 credits||9 credits||12 credits||15credits|
|Tuition and Fees||$3,360||$6,788||$10,148||$13,508||$16,868|
|Undergraduate, Canadian||3 credits||6 credits||9 credits||12 credits||15 credits|
|Tuition and Fees||$1,200||$2,468||$3,668||$4,868||$6,068|
|Graduate||1 Credit||3 credits||6 credits|
|Tuition and Fees||$1,695||$4,965||$9,885|
|Graduate, Canadian||1 Credit||3 credits||6 credits|
|Tuition and Fees||$613||$1,719||$3,393|
|Intensive English Institute||1 session||2 sessions||3 sessions||4 sessions|
|Tuition and Fees||$2,658||$5,316||$7,974||$10,632|
|Tuition and Fees||$9,446||$7,623|