Conditionally Admitted Students
Important Information for Conditionally Admitted Students
Congratulations on being conditionally admitted to the University of Maine! The information on this page is intended to help you understand what conditional admission means and how you can successfully progress from being conditionally admitted to fully enrolling in your academic program. You can confirm your enrollment here.
English Placement Test
When you arrive to UMaine, you will be tested for English Proficiency at the Intensive English Institute (IEI). A suitable program of English Language Study will be arranged based on the results of the testing:
- if you need a full-time ESL program, you will be placed in the Core Intensive English Program,
- if you need some ESL and are ready to take some academic classes, you will be placed in the Maine Bridge Program,
- if you achieve the passing score of the UMaine English Proficiency placement test, you will be admitted straight into your academic program.
Sample Progression in the Maine Bridge Program
As a student’s English skills improve, with each new semester the number of ESL classes decreases and the number of academic classes increases. The summer IEI sessions are a good way to continue working on your English skills.
Once the student reaches a good proficiency level and has received good grades in their academic classes, the IEI Director evaluates each student for matriculation into the academic program as a full-time student.
This is a sample progression. Each student moves through the levels based on their own skills and how much they dedicate to their studies. Regular class attendance, practicing outside of the classroom, living with native English speakers are some methods to improve your fluency.
You will be assigned an academic adviser from one of the faculty at the Intensive English Institute (IEI). The adviser will help you prepare to enter the Bridge program, select the appropriate academic courses while you are in the Bridge program, and successfully apply for matriculation into your academic program. IEI advisers also provide guidance on general UMaine services and transition you to the academic adviser in your major when you finish the IEI program and start your academic program.
Enrolling in Your Academic Program
Conditionally admitted students study at the IEI until they meet one of the following criteria:
- achieve a TOEFL score of 79 or score a 6.5 or higher on the IELTS exam, or
- achieve the passing score of the UMaine English Proficiency placement test offered by the Intensive English Institute
- and are granted permission from the Director of the IEI to fully enroll in their academic program.
Once the student reaches a good proficiency level and has received good grades in their academic classes, the IEI Director evaluates each student for matriculation into the academic program as a full-time student. At that point the MaineStreet program is changed from IEI to the new college and major, the TOEFL hold in MaineStreet is removed, the student is issued a new I-20 for the academic program, and the merit scholarship is posted. The student also is assigned a new academic advisor in the new major.