Graduate non-degree students are those who are interested in enrolling in 500-level or above coursework (not related to a degree program), whose previous background or work does not immediately qualify them for admission to the Graduate School, or for individuals looking to utilize employer benefits for continuing education.
The abbreviated application process only requires proof of at least a bachelor’s degree through the submission of unofficial transcripts or a valid copy of teaching certification, completion of a short application, and submission of a $35 application fee. Individuals who have earned a degree from a University of Maine System institution do not need to provide proof of degree.
The non-degree status allows students to:
- Try graduate-level work without submitting a full degree application. This benefit works for those currently seeking admission into a degree program, those who need to maintain teacher certification, or for those who wish to test the waters of graduate education.
- Enroll in graduate-level courses through most academic units for three consecutive semesters. Permission may be required to enroll in courses as a non-degree student.
- Begin working toward earning credits that could transfer into a degree program. Non-degree students may transfer up to 12 credits toward a graduate degree program.
The schedule of classes lists the courses offered for a given semester and will include information about prerequisites or permission needed. Non-degree students are not eligible for federal financial aid.
To have graduate non-degree student status, interested parties must:
- Obtain permission for the respective course by reaching out to the instructor,
- Create an account for the online application portal,
- Create a non-degree application, upload proof of degree, and list the course(s) information, and
- Submit the non-degree application and pay the non-refundable $35 application fee.
Once the application has been received and processed by the Graduate School, information regarding how to access MaineStreet (the student information system) and the learning management system (LMS) will be provided within 3-4 business days. Students are encouraged to submit the non-degree application at least one week before the start of the semester.
Degrees offered: Non-Degree
Program Format: On Campus or Online
Application deadline: Rolling
Test Required: None
Contact: Gail Boucher
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Program Website: Non-Degree Study