Master of Science in Teaching
- The program is designed to increase the number of qualified teachers in science and mathematics and to offer a research-based professional development opportunity for pre-and in-service teachers seeking Master’s degrees.
- The program also attracts doctoral students interested in improving their knowledge of teaching.
The MST is a 31-credit Master’s program requiring specific coursework, a research thesis, and guided teaching experiences in introductory science and mathematics courses on campus.
- Students will participate in and understand the results of education research in their discipline(s) and its application to teaching and learning.
- Students may use the degree to work toward teacher certification by choosing electives that meet some certification requirements, including a student teaching experience in a secondary classroom.
- The MST’s initial certification track for secondary science and mathematics is approved by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education.
- Earth Science
- Physics and Astronomy
- Recent graduates from science, mathematics, and engineering programs who want to prepare for a career in secondary science or mathematics teaching.
- In-service teachers desiring a Master’s degree containing courses that integrate content with research-based science or mathematics instruction.
- Scientists, mathematicians, engineers, and those in related fields wishing to make career changes into secondary science or mathematics teaching.
This program will prepare students to be eligible for licensure within the State of Maine. Visit the UMS State Authorization & Licensure page to learn more about the licensure requirements in other states and territories, in addition to the contact information needed to inquire further into the licensure requirements associated with this program.
Degrees offered: MST
Program Format: On Campus
Application deadline: January 15 then rolling based on funding, (Fall/Summer) | November 1 then rolling based on funding (Spring)
Test Required: GRE Recommended
Contact: Franzi Peterson
Contact Email: email@example.com
Program Website: Master of Science in Teaching