Composite Materials and Structures
The University of Maine understands there is a growing demand for engineers and scientists with strong fundamental knowledge and skills necessary for analysis, design, manufacturing, and testing of composite materials and structures. In a collaboration between the College of Engineering and the School of Forest Resources, the Composite Materials and Structures graduate certificate builds that knowledge and skills giving students a competitive advantage in the job market.
Through this 12-credit certificate, students will:
- Be introduced to modern composites made of different constituent materials
- Develop skills necessary for analysis, design, fabrication, and testing of modern composite materials and structures
- Establish the suitability of composite materials and structures for various applications
The courses completed for the graduate certificate may be counted towards a graduate degree per the guidelines of the respective graduate degree program.
Graduate students must complete 12 credits with a minimum grade of C in no more than one course. At least three courses (9 credits) must be at 500 or 600 level.
The following courses are required (6 credits):
- MEE 441/541: Manufacturing and Testing of Composites (3 credits)
- MEE 450: Mechanics of Composite Materials (3 credits) OR CIE 543: Introduction to Composite Materials in Civil Engineering (3 credits)
Select two of the following courses (6 credits):
- MEE 550: Mechanics of Laminated Composite Structures (3 credits)
- CIE 644: Advanced Composite Materials in Civil Engineering (3 credits)
- SFR 531: Mechanics of Wood and Wood Composites (3 credits)
- SFR 545: Adhesion and Adhesives Technology (3 credits)
- SFR 550: Wood-Polymer Hybrid Composites (3 credits)
- SFR 570: Cellulose Nanomaterials and Their Composites (3 credits)
NOTE: If you are an international student who is interested in pursuing any of our graduate certificate programs, please contact Katy Blackmer BEFORE applying.
Degrees offered: Graduate Certificate
Program Format: On Campus
Application deadline: Rolling
Test Required: None
Contact: Masoud Rais-Rohani (engineering) / Douglas Gardner (forestry)
Contact Email: email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org