Graduate School Commencement
The Graduate School Commencement Ceremony will be held at 4:00 p.m. on May 6, 2022, at the Harold Alfond Arena for the graduating classes of 2020, 2021, and May and August 2022. Keep an eye on this page for all commencement updates as they become available.
NOTE: Guests and graduates who are COVID positive on the day of the ceremonies are asked not to come to campus. Anyone who is positive on-site will be asked to leave campus for the health and safety of the UMaine community.
Important Dates and Deadlines
- February 1
Deadline to apply for May graduation
- March 22-24, 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Grad Fair outside of the University Bookstore in the Memorial Union
- April 1
Deadline for ordering doctoral regalia
- April 15
Complete this form indicating your participation in commencement
- May 1
Deadline to obtain master’s, CAS, and EdS regalia
- May 6, 4 p.m.
Commencement Ceremony for the Graduating Classes of 2020, 2021, and May and August 2022
Doctoral Candidate Eligibility
Doctoral candidates may participate in Commencement ceremonies if ALL of the following requirements are met:
- File for graduation in MaineStreet, deadlines and details available here: http://studentrecords.umaine.edu/graduation
- Submit a Notice of Oral Examination to the Graduate School (2 weeks prior to the defense)
- Submit a tentative dissertation to the Graduate School at least 24 hours prior to the defense
- Successfully present and orally defend the dissertation by the last Friday in April. Committee members must sign the Final Thesis Acceptance Form at the defense.
- Submit a copy of the Final Thesis Acceptance Form demonstrating an affirmative vote of the Committee. Students not submitting a final copy of their dissertations by the May deadlines may march at Commencement if they have successfully passed the dissertation defense, but they will officially receive their degrees in August upon completion of remaining requirements.
Master’s, CAS, & EdS Regalia
Cap & Gown: $44.99
Master’s Hood: $34.99
Master’s regalia will be available to purchase online or at the Bookstore beginning in mid-March. Purchase regalia by May 1. All regalia items are yours to keep.
Doctoral Regalia Package: $222.34
Orders must be placed by April 1
Doctoral regalia can be ordered through the Bookstore here. Payment must be sent directly to the Bookstore. All regalia items are rentals except the tam, which is yours to keep.
The University of Maine follows civil and University of Maine System COVID-19 health and safety guidance. All those attending UMaine and UMaine Machias commencement ceremonies in May, including graduates, will be asked to show evidence of vaccination, or documentation of a negative COVID-19 PCR or antigen test within 72 hours of arrival, or documentation of a positive COVID test within 90 days of arrival, including the required five-day isolation. Face coverings are recommended, but are optional.
Guests and graduates who are COVID-19 positive on the day of the ceremonies are asked not to come to campus. Anyone who is positive on-site will be asked to leave campus for the health and safety of the UMaine community.
The latest UMaine and UMaine Machias COVID-19 health and safety guidance is online: umaine.edu/return.