Graduate School Commencement
The Graduate School Commencement Ceremony will be held on Friday, May 5, 2023, at 4:00 p.m. in the Harold Alfond Arena. Attendees should plan for at least a 3-hour ceremony. Keep an eye on this page for all commencement updates as they become available.
Important Dates and Deadlines
- March 31, 2023
Deadline to order Doctoral regalia
- April 3, 2023
Graduates who wish to have their name included in the official commencement program and on the scoreboard must apply to graduate by April 3. Those with FERPA holds should contact the Office of Student Records before April 3 to grant permission to share their name in the official commencement materials.
- April 28, 2023
Email ADA accessibility accommodation requests to email@example.com by April 28.
Doctoral Candidate Eligibility
Doctoral candidates may participate in Commencement ceremonies if ALL of the following requirements are met:
- File for graduation in MaineStreet, deadlines and details available here: http://studentrecords.umaine.edu/graduation
- Submit a Notice of Oral Examination to the Graduate School (2 weeks prior to the defense)
- Submit a tentative dissertation to the Graduate School at least 24 hours prior to the defense
- Successfully present and orally defend the dissertation by April 21. Committee members must sign the Final Thesis Acceptance Form at the defense.
- Submit a copy of the Final Thesis Acceptance Form demonstrating an affirmative vote of the Committee. Students not submitting a final copy of their dissertations by the May deadlines may march at Commencement if they have successfully passed the dissertation defense, but they will officially receive their degrees in August upon completion of remaining requirements.
NO LONGER AVAILABLE TO ORDER
Doctoral Regalia Packages:
- One-size retainable tam with rental gown and hood: $151.99 + 5.5% sales tax ($160.35)
- Custom-fit retainable tam with rental gown and hood: $253.00 +5.5% sales tax ($266.92)
- Retainable, custom fit tam only: $153.00 (Note: the UMaine robe and hood are required to participate in the ceremony)
- Retainable, custom fit gown: $1,160.00 + 5.5% sales tax (Feb. 15 deadline to order)
Unless otherwise noted all doctoral orders must be placed by: March 31, 2023
After the Ceremony
The University of Maine Alumni Association invites you to stop by their Alumni Welcome Center tent just inside the gates to Morse Field at the conclusion of the ceremony. The Alumni Association has a small gift for each new graduate, and there will be an alumni-branded photo backdrop there where you can take your new graduate photos with family and friends. The UMaine Bookstore will also have UMaine Alumni apparel for sale in the tent.