Internships with the Franco American Digital Archive
Franco American Digital Archive Internship
The Franco American Digital Archive (FADA) (https://francoamericanportal.org), a five-university collaboration to build a digital research tool for Franco American archives and special collections, is seeking motivated student interns to assist the project and its partner institutions with archival processing, digitization, metadata creation, and other tasks related to the stewardship of print and digitized archival materials.
Student interns may participate in work either in-person or virtually, or in a hybrid environment. Some training may be required. Tasks may vary according to the needs of the project, student skill sets, and student location.
Term & Compensation
- Flexible weekdays/weekends over the course of the summer, with schedule to be determined with internship coordinator
- Internship begins on June 21, 2021 and ends July 30, 2021
- 100 hours @ $15/hr: $1500 total
- Possibility of extension
- Scan or photograph archival materials according to major preservation standards.
- Generate access copies of preservation media
- Create and enter item metadata according to established cataloging rules and metadata profiles.
- Create and enter collection metadata according to established cataloging rules and metadata profiles.
- Generate item and collection records within FAPP’s Omeka beta portal.
- Other tasks as needed
Qualifications & Skills
- Current student in the areas of archives, library science, computer science, history, languages, or other compatible field
- Basic research skills
- Knowledge of archival theory and practice
- Familiarity with descriptive metadata schema, including Dublin Core, DACS
- Familiarity with Omeka, ArchivesSpace, and/or other content management systems
- Familiarity with basic HTML or willingness to learn HTML
- Familiarity with scanning hardware, software, and digital photography preferred
- Completion of UM Course “Primary Sources in Franco American Studies (FAS200/MES 298/FRE490) preferred
- French language competency preferred but not required
Due to the nature of this project, interns can participate in-person, virtually, or both. For live internship participation, students may be able to complete work at one of the following locations:
- Maine State Library, Augusta, Maine
- Franco-American Collection, University of Southern Maine, Lewiston, Maine
- Franco American Centre, University of Maine, Orono, Maine
- Acadian Archives, University of Maine at Fort Kent
Review of applications begins on April 15, 2021. For more information contact Jacob Albert, FADA Project Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org; 207-242-7040