When electrical power is lost:
- Extinguish any flames and terminate any experiments. Ventilation through the chemical fume hood ceases with the power loss and may not automatically return with the power.
- Turn off as much electrical equipment as possible to minimize the electrical load when power is restored. This also protects the equipment from voltage fluctuations.
- If persons are trapped in the elevators, call 911 as necessary.
- Do not open refrigerators or freezers unless absolutely necessary.
- Long-term power outages may require the evacuation of the building.
All weekday gas, water or electric utility interruptions on campus should be reported to the Work Control Center at 581.4400.
Nights and weekends
On nights and weekends, report interruptions to the UMaine’s Police Department dispatcher at 581.4040. If it is necessary to shut off gas, water, or electricity to points on campus, the Facilities Management staff will give advance notice, if possible, to all building managers affected.