EES Students Earn Scholarships and Awards
EES undergraduate and graduate students were honored at award ceremonies across campus this spring. At the Natural Sciences, Forestry, and Agriculture Scholarship Recognition Banquet on April 26, the following students received awards:
- Afton Hupper – Frank B. and Charles S. Bickford Memorial Prize
- Brianne Du Clos – Norris Charles Clements Graduate Student Award
- Fred Griffee Memorial Award – Jack McLachlan
- Kisei Tanaka – Graduate Research Excellence Award
- Cassandra Carroll – College-wide Highest-ranking Junior
- Valerie Watson – College-wide Highest-ranking Senior
EES granted scholarships to the following students at a special Scholarship and Leadership celebration on May 2:
- Mark Allen received The John F. Boyle Prize in Ecology and Environmental Sciences, which was established in 1992 to recognize the top graduating senior in EES.
- Matthew Bonner, Alyson East, Patrick Hurley, Ashley Kayser, and Joseph Romick Barrell received the Wallace C. and Janet S. Dunham Ecology and Environmental Sciences Program Scholarship, which was established in 2004 to attract students that demonstrate academic excellence to the EES program.
- Cassandra Carroll, Katherine Golias, Michaela Murray, and Gwyneth Roberts received the Stantec Consulting Scholarship, which was established in 2012 to recognize meritorious full-time undergraduate students in EES, Wildlife Ecology, or related fields.
- Jack McLachlan was recognized for receiving the Correll Graduate Student Fellowship last summer, which allowed him to complete his Master’s thesis.
Several other units across campus — and beyond — recognized the outstanding achievements of EES students.
- Meghan Conway received the Chase Distinguished Research Assistantship from the Graduate School.
- Zachary Wood received the Janet Waldron Doctoral Research Fellowship from the Graduate School. He also received the Graduate Student Travel Award from the School of Biology and Ecology.
- Dulcinea Groff received the Graduate Student Travel Award from the School of Biology and Ecology.
- Jared Homola received the Graduate Prize in Animal Biology from the School of Biology and Ecology.
- Brianne Du Clos received the Frank H. Lathrop Prize in Entomology from the School of Biology and Ecology.
- Brianne Du Clos was also named a 2017 Edith Patch Awardee by the Friends of Dr. Edith Marion Patch and The Fogler Library Friends. Valerie Watson was named a 2017 Distinguished Nominee.
- Kaizad Patel received the Janet Engle Cormier Soil Science Scholarship from the Maine Association of Professional Soil Scientists.
- Cassandra Carroll, Connor Huck and Asha DiMatteo-LePape received the George L. Houston Scholarship from the School of Forest Resources.
- Jamie Behan, Kayla Greenawalt, Shae Horrigan, Madison Masi, and Taylor Patterson received the George V. Nauman Scholarship from the School of Economics.
Congratulations to all of our award winners for their scholarly achievements!
Scholarships are made possible with generous support from our alumni, friends, and corporate partners. If you would like to make a contribution to support EES students, visit the University of Maine Foundation.