Checklist for New Faculty at UMaine
Welcome to UMaine!
Below information will help any faculty as they get started at UMaine. To find more details, and to register for our New Faculty Orientation events, select these from the list on the left.
Getting Started Checklist
1. Activate your University of Maine System (UMS)* account. To complete the activation process, you must have both your 7 digit UMaine Employee ID number and an account activation key.
Your UMS user account (also referred to as your UMS ID) is used to access system-wide technology services such as Blackboard (our learning management system), MaineStreet (our personnel management system), and UMS Email (Gmail).
→If you do not have your Employee ID number your departmental administrative assistant will be able to help you locate it.
→If you do not have an activation key contact the IT Help Center at 207.581.2506.
→If you would like to get started working with these tools, but do not have an Employee ID number, your hiring department can fill out a Person of Interest form to get you access to the system-wide technology services.
2. Complete your I9 form. Payroll/Benefits can help you finalize any of your I9 paperwork. Please complete this form and bring with you the approved documentation outlined on page three to the HR office on the first floor of Corbett Hall (207.581.1581)
3. Get your Parking Permit. Parking passes are 35$ for the year (Jan-Dec), and prorated from time of purchase. Permits are available in the MaineCard Office (130 Memorial Union Building) or at Parking Services (5702 DTAV Community Building) – you can even order your permit online – but you will need your UMS ID (Step 1).
4. Get your MaineCard. Your official UMaine ID is the MaineCard. Fill out this application form and bring a valid form of ID to the MaineCard office in 130 Memorial Union Building (207.581.CARD). The MaineCard office is open 7:30am-4:00pm, Monday – Friday.
5. Find out where you are teaching! You can search for your class and find your classroom following these instructions. We encourage you to visit your teaching space before the first day of class!
*The University of Maine at Orono is the flagship university of the University of Maine System (UMS). The University of Maine System features seven universities —some with multiple campuses—located across the state, as well as eight University College outreach centers, a law school, an additional 31 course sites, and Cooperative Extension.