Skip Navigation
Return to Layout View | Home | A-Z Directory | my UMaine | MaineStreet | Campus Map | Calendar
Follow UMaine on Twitter | Join UMaine on Facebook | Watch UMaine on YouTube | Admissions | Parents & Family | Apply | Give Now | Emergency

Student Life

Site Navigation:

UMaine UVote - Voter Requirements

What are the requirements to register to vote in Maine?

See Title 21-A, Maine Law on Elections, section 111.

How is voting residence determined?

Residence is that place where the person has established a fixed and principal home to which the person, whenever temporarily absent, intends to return.

Are there special residency requirements for students, military personnel, incarcerated persons, and citizens living outside the United States?


Students have the right to register in the municipality where they attend school, if they have established residency there. Students must meet the same residency requirements as all other potential voters, but may not be asked to meet any additional requirements.

Students who are not residents of the municipality in which they attend school cannot register in that municipality. Students must determine where they have established residency and register to vote there. If residency is determined to be in another municipality or state, absentee voting is possible and encouraged.

The following items should be kept in mind when determining residency for a college student:

Military Personnel:

A person does not gain or lose a residence solely because of the person’s presence or absence while employed in the Armed Forces of the United States or of this State [Title 21-A, §112.7 and Article II, Section 1 of the Maine Constitution].

A member of the Armed Forces may register or enroll at any time by completing and filing the federal postcard application form or the Maine voter registration form, or by registering in person using a form provided by the registrar.

A spouse of a member of the Armed Forces on active duty may have the same voting residence as that person’s spouse.

A member of the Armed Forces shall not be considered as having obtained an established residence, however, by being stationed in any garrison, barrack or military place, in any city, town or plantation [Article II, Section 1 of the Maine Constitution].

Incarcerated persons:

The residence of a person incarcerated in a correctional facility or in a county jail does not include the municipality where a person is incarcerated unless the person had resided in that municipality prior to incarceration.

A person incarcerated in a correctional facility may apply to register to vote in any municipality where that person has previously established a fixed and principal home to which the person intends to return [Title 21-A, §112.14].

Back to UMaine UVote


Blue Sky Student Life Initiatives

Contact Information

Student Life
5748 Memorial Union
Orono, ME 04469-5748
Phone: 207.581.1406 | Fax: 207.581.4215
The University of Maine
Orono, Maine 04469
A Member of the University of Maine System