Skip Navigation
Return to Layout View | Home | A-Z Directory | my UMaine | MaineStreet | Campus Map | Calendar
Follow UMaine on Twitter | Join UMaine on Facebook | Watch UMaine on YouTube | Admissions | Parents & Family | Apply | Give Now | Emergency

The Counseling Center

Site Navigation:

For Parents


Frequently Asked Questions

When might counseling services be needed?

Back to top

How do I refer my daughter/son to your services?

Encourage your daughter/son to call us between 8 am and 4:30 pm to schedule an appointment.  Monday through Thursday from 1-3:30 students can just drop in for an initial consultation.  Students who indicate they are in crisis will be seen by a counselor that day.

Back to top

Is it possible for the counselor to update me on what my daughter/son talks about in counseling?

Not without the student’s written consent. Federal and state laws require that counseling conversations and records remain strictly confidential.

Knowing that your son/daughter is in counseling, but not knowing anything about the content of those sessions, can sometimes be challenging for concerned parents. However, it is important to understand that confidentiality is an essential element of the counseling process, as it creates a safe environment for students to discuss their personal concerns openly and honestly. Finding a way to open up a dialogue about their concerns might be very beneficial to your son/daughter as well.

Back to top

What should I do if my daughter/son is reluctant to seek counseling?

While counseling is a personal decision, sometimes it can be helpful to encourage a student to talk to a counselor about his or her concerns. It is important to remember that it’s ultimately the student’s decision to seek help, but the following strategies might help persuade an ambivalent student to consider counseling:

Back to top

Will counseling become part of my son’s/daughter’s academic record?

No. Our records are confidential and are entirely separate from students’ academic records.

Back to top

Is my child obligated to continue counseling if they seek services?

No. They are not obligated in any way to continue.

Back to top

Does counseling cost money at the University of Maine?

Our psychological services are provided free of charge to University of Maine students. Our psychiatric services are available for a fee, though the fee is generally less than community psychiatric services.

Back to top


Contact Information

The Counseling Center
5721 Cutler Health Center
Orono, Maine 04469
Phone: (207) 581-1392 | Fax: (207) 581-4975
The University of Maine
Orono, Maine 04469
A Member of the University of Maine System